Thursday, December 07, 2006

Song of the Year

  • Be Without You - Johnta Austin, Mary J. Blige, Bryan-Michael Cox & Jason Perry, songwriters (Mary J. Blige)
  • Jesus Take the Wheel - Brett James, Hillary Lindsey & Gordie Sampson, songwriters (Carrie Underwood)
  • Not Ready to Make Nice - Martie Maguire, Natalie Maines, Emily Robison & Dan Wilson, songwriters (Dixie Chicks)
  • Put Your Records On - Put Your Records OnJohn Beck, Steve Chrisanthou & Corinne Bailey Rae, songwriters (Corinne Bailey Rae)
  • You're Beautiful - James Blunt, Amanda Ghost & Sacha Skarbek, songwriters (James Blunt)

Song of the Year, which honors the songwriters as opposed to Record of the Year, which honors the performers, can be quite the enigma. This year, four of the nominees overlap with Record of the Year, which is a pretty big overlap. Last year only one song, Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" was nominated in both categories, and in 2004 there was no overlap. Not since 1993 has there been this much overlap between the two categories. In 1992 it was a 5 for 5 match. So "Jesus Take The Wheel" is the sole song nominee not to be a record nominee, while Gnarlz Barkley's "Crazy" is in the opposite position.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, this has nothing to do with this post, but I just bought "Rocket Man" off iTunes and I LOVE IT. I think it's all about space travel and stuff. Or maybe it's just a metaphor. I don't know. But it's awesome!

Anonymous said...

I hated Corinne Bailey Rae on sight.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Why are you so down on Miss Rae? I think she's pretty soulful. I liked her second second, "Trouble Sleeping" better than "Put Your Records On."

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have anything to say about "Rocket Man?"

Anonymous said...

I think that came out before I was born.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

It's not a Grammy nominee. Other than that, I have no comment.