Thursday, December 07, 2006

Best Dance Recording

  • Suffer Well - Depeche Mode
  • Ooh La La - Goldfrapp
  • Get Together - Madonna
  • I'm With Stupid - Pet Shop Boys
  • Sexyback - Justin Timberlake
The Grammy dance category continues to be one of my favorites, and I can't really quibble with these nominees. I'd give the edge to Goldfrapp and Madonna, both of whom shined on the dancefloor this year. I actually thought "Hung Up" would be nominated, but I'm just as happy with "Get Together," which I actually like better. "I'm With Stupid" is the best Pet Shop Boys song in a decade.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love "I'm With Stupid," too. I'm going to listen to it on my computer machine right now!

Anonymous said...

What about the Scissor Sisters? Hellloooo?

Anonymous said...

And what is considered "dance"? Bloc Party could very well be nominated here as well.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Bloc Party is rock music, not dance music. I wouldn't expect to walk into a dance club and hear Bloc Party, unless it was a remix. Good call about the Scissor Sisters, they should've been nominated, maybe instead of Depeche Mode.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what Bloc Party is. There was a "Knots Landing" special in 1993 called "The Knots Landing Block Party," not to be confused with "Knots Landing: Back to the Cul-de-Sac," which aired two years ago and was pretty much the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Wow Andrew, you put me in my place.

I am SAYING, what actually distinhuishes something as "dance"? That you can dance to it? Or that it doesn't use guitars?

Chris, Bloc Party is the best fucking band on earth. I will make you a cd.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I think it's generally supposed to be an electronic subset of pop or R&B. Basically Dance Pop, House, Trance, Techno, Etc.