Sunday, December 31, 2006

Best TV of 2006

1. Battlestar Galactica (Sci-Fi)

I hadn't watched this show until this year; what was I thinking? This is fantastic television: thought-provoking stories with parallels to current global events, well-drawn characters, superb acting from a uniformly good cast. It doesn't get better than this.

2. Project Runway (Bravo)

What does it say that my two favorite shows of the year were from cable networks? Project Runway really hit its stride in its third season. It's the most compelling "reality" TV because it blends creativity and goes easy on the fake drama. Tim Gunn provides a warm presence, and Heidi Klum is a real ham ("You're Aut!").

3. 24 (Fox)

24 had a watershed year in its fourth season and managed to keep it up for season five. The only downer was the last 2 minutes--can't Jack get a break?

4. Lost (ABC)

In its third season now, Lost is sadly waning, but still manages to be pretty good. We just need something to happen.

5. 30 Rock (NBC)

I watched the pilot and didn't think much of it. Then my partner had me watch another episode, and I thought it was hilarious, and every other episode I've watched since then has been too. Alec Baldwin and Jane Krakowski are particularly funny.

6. The Sopranos (HBO)

This season was a sharp fall off in quality for the Sopranos, but when it's starting point is so high, even a so-so season of the Sopranos is better than the majority of other TV shows.

7. The Office (NBC)

Last season of the office was great; this season hasn't been that good, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Still worth watching.

8. The West Wing (NBC)

Prior to this year, I'd watched maybe one or two episodes of this, but my partner was really into it, so I started watching it, and it was actually pretty good, due to the election story with Alan Alda and Jimmy Smits.

9. Arrested Development (ABC)

What a tragedy this show didn't make it. So offbeat and fun.

10. 30 Minute Meals (Food Network)

I got into this while working out at our former gym, and I love it. Rachael Ray has a great approach to food: no snobbery, top quality ingredients, and a willingness to experiment. Credit her for taking a winning approach to get people back in the kitchen.

No comments: