Saturday, September 12, 2009

Album Review: Arctic Monkeys - Humbug (3.5/5)

Maturity can create some interesting choices for bands. The Arctic Monkeys--Britain's most successful post-punk band--were just 20 years old when they released their massively successful debut Whatever You Think I Am, That's What I'm Not in 2006. That work, and it's similar 2007 follow-up Favourite Worst Nightmare, were characterized by short songs bursting with energy and attitude.

Humbug takes a new direction, trading in that raw youthful energy for a moodier sound delivered at a slower pace. It's an appropriate step for a band now in their mid '20s, and exploring new sounds, but is it as much fun? Yes and no. While I wasn't a fan at first, I grew to enjoy the band's little rants about life and love--or rather the lack thereof. So don't go looking for a "Brianstorm" or a "I Bet that You Look Good on the Dancefloor" because you won't find much of that here.

"My Propeller" quickly establishes this new sound with a dark mood, driven by a strong emphasis on the bass melody and a hushed vocal delivered at a rather slow pace. A rat-tat-tat of drums and guitar punch things up nicely for the chorus. "Crying Lightning's" bass line is also quite promiment. I'm really not sure what the song is about. In the past, I had trouble understanding lead singer Alex Turner, due to his rapid-fire delivery and thick accent. Now that's he's singing clearly and slowly, I still can't make out what he's saying, even with the lyrics sheet in front of me. ("your pastimes consisted of the strange, the twisted and deranged and I hate that little game you had called ‘crying lightning.’" Huh????)

"Secret Door," the album's first ballad, has a romantic '60s quality to it, but still retains a bit of an eerie sound. It's lack of an obvious chorus also make it feel like a stream of emotion, rather than a premeditated poem.

Much has been written about "Cornerstone," surely a future single. It's the album's most lovely melody--a break from the generally darker tone--and it's kind of a sad story too about a guy who can't forget the memory of a former flame and therefore tries to project her onto other girls. It's sandwiched between sinister "Fire and the Thud," which ups the reverb and reigns in the guitar, and "Dance Little Liar," which burns slowly before shifting to a final act dance beat and guitar solo. These are rather moody song, but satisfying nonetheless.

"Pretty Visitors" is closer to the old Arctic Monkeys--rapid-fire drumming, loud half-spoken vocal from Turner--but also features creepy organ music throughout. It's an odd one for sure. As is the softer final track "The Jeweller's Hands."

Credit for the band's new direction goes, in part, to producer Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age. Interesting though, that all three tracks produced by James Ford (who also produced Favourite Worst Nightmare) are among my favorites. I'm glad the band is willing to experiment, but I like them best when they show a little warmth.

Best: Cornerstone, My Propeller, Crying Lightning, Secret Door, Fire and the Thud

2 comments:

J.Mensah said...

Great review! Their 3-3.5/5 rating you keep giving them would lead one to think you don't like their music that much.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

You know it's interesting that you point that out. I would actually give both of their first albums 4 or 4.5 now, but at the time they came out, I didn't appreciate them as much. Maybe this one will grow on me in the long term too.