Friday, September 11, 2009

Billboard Hot 100, September 19, 2009

1. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas

Black Eyed Peas spend an 11th week a #1 with "I Gotta Feeling." That's just one week shy of the longest-running #1 hit of the year--the 12 weeks they spent at #1 with "Boom Boom Pow." Both tracks are from the album The E.N.D., which is only the second album ever to score two #1 hits that spent 10 weeks or more at #1. Santana's 1999 album, Supernatural, spawned "Smooth" (feat. Rob Thomas), which spent 12 weeks at #1, and "Maria Maria" (feat. The Product G&B), which spent 10 weeks at the top. I think a 12th week at #1 is possible, although with songs 2 through 5 bulleted this week, competition is strong.

2. Down - Jay Sean feat. Lil Wayne
3. Party in the USA - Miley Cyrus
4. Run This Town - Jay-Z feat. Rihanna and Kanye West
5. Use Somebody - Kings of Leon

Here are those contenders. "Party in the USA" is still the biggest seller, but is behind in airplay. You'd think "Down" would have the strongest chance, being #2, but it is actually behind "I Gotta Feeling" in both sales and airplay. If I were a betting man, I'd say the Peas are a lock for a 12th week.

7. Obsessed - Mariah Carey

After spending the last 3 weeks at #11, Mariah Carey finally vaults into the top 10. This is her 27th top 10 hit. As first album singles go for Mariah Carey, #7 isn't too bad, and it will probably go higher. Her last, "Touch My Body," peaked at #1, but "It's Like That" managed only #16 (it was certainly no sign of what would come from The Emancipation of Mimi). All those blow "Through the Rain" out of the water, as it only peaked at a measly #81 (ouch).

9. Whatcha Say - Jason DeRulo

Jason DeRulo scores his first top 10 hit, as "Whatcha Say" climbs 4 spots this week.

39. Sweet Dreams - Beyonce

Beyonce's "Sweet Dreams" enters the top 40, up 7 notches. It is the 6th top 40 hit from I Am...Sasha Fierce; both of her prior albums managed just 4 top 40 hits each (and B'Day didn't get it until its special edition re-release). This is the singer's 18th top 40 hit.

Dance Chart

Over on the dance chart, I just wanted to note that La Roux has scored their first #1 hit in the US, as "Bulletproof" tops the club play chart this week.

4 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

Of course Through The Rain would be one of my fave Mariah songs of recent years :/ Will be interesting to see how the Foreigner cover does which for me is probably the most "classic" Mariah 90s sound of recent years...

And poor Miley being unable to knock the BEP off the top! I've been singing it at work all morning, nodding my head like yeah!

A1 said...

the power of BEP! Guetta's "Sexy Bitch" knocked of I Gotta Feeling here in Oz after 8 weeks ...
the thing is thier next single, with Fergie's killa Madonna-in- Borderline- vocals is the one i totally adore..bring it on is what i say!
oh great chart commentary btw..very impressed

rcLoy said...

Love La Roux.
Their next single is total fab! LOVE IT!

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Paul - I agree the new single sounds more like "classic" Mariah than anything we've heard in years. I'm hopeful it will be a big hit. Her last '80s band remake, "Open Arms" was a major UK hit, as I'm sure you know.

A1 - Thanks! "Meet Me Halfway" sounds like another hit to me.

rcLoy - "I'm Not Your Toy" is good. As is everything else on the album. It's my favorite album this year.