Saturday, September 05, 2009

Billboard Hot 100, September 12, 2009

1. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas

Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling" scores its 10th week at #1. This is only the second time in Hot 100 history that two back-to-back #1 hits have spent 10 or more consecutive weeks at #1. The last time it happened was the summer and fall of 2005, when Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together's" 10 consecutive weeks at #1 was followed by 10 consecutive weeks at #1 for Kanye West's "Gold Digger."

2. Down - Jay Sean ft. Lil Wayne
4. Use Somebody - Kings of Leon

Jay Sean is up a notch to #2. Will it be the one to finally unseat Black Eyed Peas? Maybe, although I have a suspicion that "I Gotta Feeling" is still way ahead of Sean in combined sales and airplay. Kings of Leon might be a better bet, who reach a new peak at #4 this week. This is the second week in row in which there are no new entries in the top 10.

11. Obsessed - Mariah Carey

Poor Mariah. This is "Obsessed's" fourth week at #1. It so desperately wants to be a top 10 hit, but just isn't.

13. Whatcha Say - Jason DeRulo

Jason DeRulo makes a nice 11-spot jump to #13 with "Whatcha Say," this week's digital gainer. Last week, I compared this to Imogen Heap, and I later found out that the song actually does sample her song "Hide and Seek."

18. Fallin' for You - Colbie Caillat

This single debuted at #12 weeks ago and then spent the last 6 weeks outside the top 40. It rockets back in a big way--up 28 notches.

27. Be on You - Flo Rida ft. Ne-Yo

Flo Rida scores his 6th top 40 hit and third from his second album. First time I heard this song I was rather taken aback for having mistaken the first letter of the title for a "p." This is Ne-Yo's 13th top 40 appearance.

3 comments:

J.Mensah said...

It will be a top 10 hit! I just know it will! I'm gonna be sending a harsh--four letter world--infested letter to Billboard bosses if it doesn't ¬_¬.

Have you heard the new Alexandra Burke song "Bad Boys" with Flo Rida? or the new Mariah single?

John said...

That Flo Rida mis-hear made me chuckle a bit. Maybe that's the "dirty" version. You know, if Mariah hadn't abandoned ship on her single so soon, maybe it would have had enough momentum to make the Top 10.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

J. - You'd better address your letter to record buyers and radio station managers, since they're the ones with the power to put it in the top 10. And yes, I've heard "Bad Boys," and I think it's pretty cool.

John - Even if her label is going to move on to "I Want to Know What Love Is" looking for a #1 to launch the album, I'm not sure that will spell the end for "Obsessed." The track is picking up at top 40 (it's top 20 now). And several other big artists, such as Beyonce, Britney, and Kanye West have recently shown that the market will tolerate closely released singles.