Friday, May 11, 2007

Album Review: Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (3.5 / 5)


Second album then from the Arctic Monkeys. Of course, I bought it, even though I found their debut Whatever People Say I Am, That' What I'm Not to be overrated. It achieved a number of impressive accolades, was a fast-seller in the UK, and won the Mercury Music Prize. Go Monkeys. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but it's just not my thing, and I think I've put my finger on it:

Arctic Monkeys are a band for rock music fans. I am a pop music fan. Although I like a lot of rock music, this is where we diverge. Rock music critics revel in technical proficiency, tight songs, and could care less whether the lead singer's voice sounds like an old rusty pipe. As a pop music fan, I do care about things like melody, singing ability, and drama, and the Arctic Monkeys just don't do those.

Most of the their songs are too short to build any kind of drama. They exist as single-concept songs; just like on their first album, having of the Favourite Worst Nightmare tracks are over in less than 3 minutes. I recognize that their musical ability is top notch, but I long for some interesting melodies to carry me away, not just proficient guitar solos. And their lead singer--let's face it, he can barely sing, but in the rock music critics world, that's just fine, as long as shows up with a dose of style and swagger, which Alex Turner--all of 21--has in abundance.

"Brianstorm," the first single is high on energy, but the vocals sound like they were recorded in a box. "Teddy Picker" sounds about the same, but better--there's some variation in the buildup to the chorus. "D Is for Dangerous" is so short, that it passed me by before I could think of something to say about it. "Balaclava" is pretty decent, has some explosive parts followed by a fairly subdued percussion-laden section.

"Fluorescent Adolescent" sounds like it could be a single. "The boy's a slag, the best you ever had" is a fun line. This might be my favorite track thus far. "Only One Who Knows" is actually a ballad, such a switch. Kind of ghostly sounding. Not bad. "If You Were There, Beware" is also pretty good. "505" is an eerie closer, but not very interesting melodically.

Overall, it's better than their first album, but as British bands go, despite it's admirable attempts, it's just not my cuppa tea.

Best: Brianstorm, Teddy Picker, Fluorescent Adolescent, Only One Who Knows, If You Were There, Beware

No comments: