Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Essential Albums of the Decade: 61 to 80

61. Natalie Imbruglia - Counting Down the Days (2005). Australian pop singer Natalie Imbruglia's third album wasn't a big hit, which really surprised me, since it's such an expertly produced pop album that sounds, to my ears, full of potential hits. Best: Shiver.

62. Keane - Under the Iron Sea (2006). On their second album, British band Keane continued to demonstrate their skill at crafting lovely, guitarless rock, while stretching their creativity on songs like the mostly instrumental, mult-movement opening track "Atlantic" and giddily upbeat hit single "Is It Any Wonder?" Best: A Bad Dream.

63. Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (2009). Green Day's 8th album was a sequel to their 2004 album, American Idiot. Like that landmark album, 21st Century Breakdown is a concept album telling the story of a young couple, Christian and Gloria, making their way in post-9/11 America. Best: 21st Century Breakdown.

64. Whitney Houston - I Look to You (2009). After years of disaster, Whitney Houston pulled herself together, kicked Bobby to the curb, and went back to the studio to record a satisfying comeback of contemporary R&B and pop. Although her voice was a little ragged, she still managed to deliver an invested vocal performance through mid-tempo pop, emotional balladry and uptempo corkers. Best: Million Dollar Bill.

65. Alicia Keys - The Diary of Alicia Keys (2003). Although she's become a bit bland of late, Alicia Keys proved with her second album that she can craft a fine set of soulful, retro R&B when she wants to. I still love the girl-meets-boy sweetness of "You Don't Know My Name." Best: You Don't Know My Name.

66. Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (2007). Arctic Monkeys broke out big with their debut, but I prefer their second album, which broadened their sound to include not only their typical bursts of high-energy rock, but also pop ("Fluorescent Adolescent") and balladry ("Only One Who Knows"). Best: Fluorescent Adolescent.

67. Take That - The Circus (2008). I wasn't taken with the group's 2006 comeback, Beautiful World, but I thought on The Circus Gary Barlow & company offered altogether a much stronger set of songs, ranging from the bubbly "Up All Night" to the genteel title track. Best: The Circus.

68. Delta Goodrem - Innocent Eyes (2003). Although my favorite Delta Goodrem songs came later--"Out of the Blue" and "Believe Again"--her first album is overall the most solid, showing her strengths as a piano pop vocalist. She well could have become the new Celine Dion, although she seems to have lost her momentum of late, with her third album, Delta, still not seeing a European release. Best: Lost Without You.

69. Robbie Williams - Swing When You're Winning (2001). Self-indulgent for sure, but still quite enjoyable. Robbie Williams followed his hit album Sing When You're Winning with the cleverly titled Swing When You're Winning, a collection of remakes of standards from the '50s and '60s popularized by artists like Frank Sinatra (who shows up magically to duet with dear Robbie). Best: Somethin' Stupid.

70. Sugababes - Three (2003). Angels with Dirty Faces is generally considered the 'Babes best album, but their third album was also quite solid, from the rocking guitar tempo of "Hole in the Head" to the stomping new wave beat of "Whatever Makes You Happy" and the Middle Eastern influence of "Million Different Ways." Best: Hole in the Head.

71. Robyn (2007). Robyn proved that Max Martin isn't the only Swede making quality up-tempo pop music with this eponymous release that took several years to reach a market beyond her homeland. With crisp beats and strong hooks, Robyn restarted the career of the singer, best known for her 1997 hits "Do You Know (What It Takes)" and "Show Me Love." Best: With Every Heartbeat.

72. Pink - Funhouse (2008). Showing remarkable longevity, Pink's fifth album was her best yet, continuing the show the singer's skill at crafting cheeky yet imminently marketable pop, while also exploring some darker themes. Funhouse was probably the most fun divorce album ever. Best: I Don't Believe You.

73. Estelle - Shine (2008). Teaming up with big names like John Legend, Kanye West, Wyclef Jean and Mark Ronson meant Estelle's second album was a much bigger hit than her first, a soulful set of summery pop/R&B. Best: American Boy.

74. Muse - The Resistance (2009). Delivering their weirdest set yet, on their fifth album, Muse incorporated classical elements into their already established mix of progressive, sci-fi, Queen-loving epic rock. Best: Exogenesis.

75. David Gray - A New Day at Midnight (2002). David Gray is best known for his single "Babylon," but I've always preferred the darker album that followed, recorded in the wake of his father's death. Best: Dead in the Water.

76. Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly, Angry Mob (2007). Kaiser Chiefs got serious on their second album, delivering a tighter, more focused set of guitar-based rock, and even some interesting surprises, like "The Angry Mob's" transition to a rant during its last third and the softer side of "Love's Not a Competition (But I'm Winning)." Best: Rudy.

78. Kylie Minogue - X (2007). Emerging from her battle with breast cancer, Kylie Minogue returned in 2007 with this triumphant electro-pop set four years after her uneven Body Language. While she vaguely acknowledges her health battle on "No More Rain," she's generally got the party on her mind with typically good dance pop like "The One," "Wow" and "In My Arms." Best: 2 Hearts.

77. Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin (2004). Avril Lavigne's second album was moodier and darker than her 2002 debut, eschewing the "skater punk/pop" that made her famous to focus on edgier material. The piano trills that open "Together" is my favorite musical moment here. Sad, but lovely. Best: Together.

79. Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV (2005). Hard-Fi's first album typified the '80s synth pop-loving alternative rock that was the counterpoint to the "Coldplay" sound during the middle part of this decade, with songs like "Hard to Beat," which sounds like it borrowed part of its beat from Madonna's "Into the Groove." Best: Hard to Beat.

80. Pink - Missundaztood (2001). While technically her second album, Missundaztood is really the first album from the artist we've come to know as Pink, establishing her "lite-punk" blend of rock, pop, R&B and attitude. Best: Get the Party Started.

6 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

My god more levels of amazingosity. Nat's third album was a joy so why they are sitting on the equally good fourth is beyond me! Whitney, well I've said in lots of places that I love it. It's not groundbreaking but it's solid Whitney and highly enjoyable.

Delta - I love Innocent Eyes, so many great singles. Isn't born to try a future x factor winner's song classic?!

Robbie Williams - Swing is one of my fave albums of the 00s, probably top twenty. Escapology just missed out on my top 5 albums of the decade (up on New Year's Eve)..

Pink - she just consistently churns out top quality pop that is amazing to listen to and watch. And yet I still don't think she gets the kudos for it that she deserves!

Kylie - X: Everyone had an opinion on how it should work, but ultimately it was a jolly good pop album with enough bonus tracks and b-sides to make your own very good set of music.

hard fi - tied up too tight was one of my fave songs of 2005. Just loved it :)

J.Mensah said...

I love aligned are lists are. I'm surprised Whitney's on there, I didn't think you liked it too much, I also thought Robyn would be higher. So many of the good-stuff are near bottom, I wonder how your second-half is gonna fair. The album I think your gonna name #1 hasn't shown up yet so that's a good sign.

Tom Q Public said...

Quite fascinating that you prefer "The Circus" over "Beautiful World" ... I was totally the opposite; in fact I got bored with "The Circus" after a couple months and traded it in at the local shop, whereas you'll be seeing "BW" fairly high up on my countdown. But then, that's what I love about reading other people's lists: the difference in opinions!

Good to see Keane on your list as well ... fine band! I should be into Robbie, but for some reason he's never grabbed ahold of me. Nonetheless, a very interesting list so far, though quite different than mine. I'll be fascinated to read the rest of it!

-T

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Paul - Thanks. The marketing of Natalie Imbruglia seems to be a real sore point for her, doesn't it? Botched UK releases from her third album, no US release at all, and now her fourth one seems held in purgatory, having come out here and there by not everywhere. I agree "Born to Try" would be a good X Factor single choice. I agree Pink doesn't get her kudos. She's had more hits than Britney, yet a fraction of the press.

J.Mensah - I loved Whitney's new album. It's one I've continued to listen to since reviewing it. I'm curious what you think I would put at #1. I was surprised, but pleased, by your choice.

Tom Q Public - I totally like The Circus better. Especially tracks 5 through 11. This isn't the last you'll see of Keane on this list.

John said...

I am really enjoying your recap so far. So much in fact that I doubt I will do one of my own. Great job!

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Thanks John! That's a nice compliment. I think you should at least post your top 10. I'd love to see it.