Sunday, November 30, 2008

UK Singles Chart, 12/6/2008

Here it is! The chart resulting from what I declared would be the most competitive chart week of the year so far in the UK. Two weeks ago I made my prediction of where all the big new singles would land. The week rather significantly ruined the chart records of several major artists. Let's see how well they (and my predictions) did...

1. Greatest Day - Take That

The reunited Take That contines to prove they are still a potent pop force, scoring their 11th #1 hit, third since they reunited 2 years ago. "Greatest Day" is the first single from the band's fifth album The Circus, out tomorrow. This was an easy pick, of course I knew it would be #1.

3. Live Your Life - T.I. Featuring Rihanna

T.I. and Rihanna climb back up to #3 with the physical release of their single, "Live Your Life." Two weeks ago the single peaked at #2, and I had predicted it would be back up there, so I was close.

4. Human - The Killers

Despite all the new releases, The Killers managed to hold their position in the top 5 with their single, "Human," slipping just a notch to #4 in its third week. The Killers also top this week's album's chart with Day & Age, their third album and third to hit #1. The albums chart was also pretty competitive this week, with The Killers selling more records than Guns N' Roses' first album in 15 years, Rhydian, and Kanye West (poor Kanye wasn't even in the top 10).

5. Hot N Cold - Katy Perry

Katy Perry's been selling so well on downloads that she manages to hold steady at #5 this week with the release of the single's CD. Exactly where I thought she'd be.

7. Womanizer - Britney Spears

Britney climbs up a bit with the full release of "Womanizer," but still short of the #4 peak the song reached on downloads. Despite this being touted as a comeback for the singer, it ties "I'm a Slave 4 U" as the lowest-charting first single from any of her albums. I had higher hopes for Brits, predicting she'd be back up at #4.

9. Right Now (Na Na Na) - Akon.

Akon lands his 8th UK top 10 hit with "Right Now (Na Na Na)," the first single from new third album, Freedom. Akon had one #1 hit from each of his first two albums, "Lonely" from Trouble was a #1 hit in 2005, and "Smack That" from Konvicted hit #1 in 2006. I predicted this would be in the lower half of the top 10--good job me.

12. I Hate This Part - The Pussycat Dolls

The Pussycat Dolls get a bit of a lift, up four spots to #12 with "I Hate This Part." As such, it just misses the top 10, becoming the group's first single to do so after six top 10 hits. I had thought they'd go top 10, so I just missed this one too.

13. We R One - Same Difference

The siblings duo Same Difference, Former X Factor contestants, land at #13 with their debut single, "We R One." Midweek results showed this would be in the top 10, so I don't know what happened, although I had predicted it would be Top 15, so I got it right in the end. Too bad, as I was actually hoping they'd be in the top 10.

15. Use Somebody - Kings of Leon
17. Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon

Kings of Leon continue to climb on pre-release downloads, pushing "Use Somebody" to a new peak at #15. Meanwhile, the group's last single, former #1 "Sex on Fire," refuses to be buried, slipping only four spots this week.

18. Da Ya/Stay With Me - McFly

Now here's a rather spectacular flop for several reasons. After 15 straight top 10 hits McFly miss the top 10 by rather a large measure, debuting at #18 with their double-A side single "Do Ya/Stay With Me." The single also manages to earn the distinction of the lowest-charting Children in Need charity single, performing even lower than last year's #11 flop, the Spice Girls' reunion single "Headlines." I thought McFly + Children in Need would be an irresistable combination that would send this to #3. Boy was I wrong.

24. Rehab - Rihanna

It's not coming out until next year, but already Rihanna's moving enough downloads for her new single "Rehab" to debut at #24. As such, it becomes the 8th top 40 hit from her album Good Girl Gone Bad--a very impressive run. It's also one of her three entries on the chart this week, along with her T.I. collaboration at #3 and her old single "Disturbia" still on the chart at #27.

37. All I Want for Christmas - Mariah Carey

Here she comes. Mariah Carey re-enters the top 40 with her seasonal hit "All I Want for Christmas." How high will it get this year? Last year it hit #4.

39. Miles Away - Madonna

Poor, poor Madonna. Not only did her divorce recently become finalized, but now the singer must suffer the indignity of her lowest charting UK single ever. "Miles Away" flops and rather spectacularly for Madonna. Her previous low water mark was #16, reached by both "Take a Bow" in 1994 and "Oh Father" in 1996. Such a shame, for its a really great single. But why wasn't there a video? That was a huge mistake I think. I wonder if this means no more Hard Candy singles? It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I predicted this would be top 20, thinking that was pretty low, but didn't imagine the news would be this bad.

Next week--still an exciting week. Leona Lewis will mount a potent challenge to Take That with the download release of her hotly anticipated new single "Run." Hoping to land in the top 10 are Oasis, with "I'm Outta Time" and Will Young with "Grace."

8 comments:

J.Mensah said...

It your fault my gal is #7 i mean she's only #7 on urs!

Cook In / Dine Out said...

What can I say? I have Britney eating out of my hand these days. If she releases "If You Seek Amy" as a single she's doomed.

J.Mensah said...

No you di-in lol! -- I think If U Seek Amy will race into the top 10 seriously! do you dare disagree lol

Cook In / Dine Out said...

There's no way radio would play that song unless it was heavily edited.

J.Mensah said...

Digital sales?

Cook In / Dine Out said...

But I don't think it would be promoted as a "single" unless radio would be willing to play it. You should check out the lower part of the UK singles chart this weekend to see if anyone cherry picks tracks

J.Mensah said...

I definitely will i think "circus" the song might make a debut -- i know this random but howcomes you never got round reviewing janet jackson's, "discipline"

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I didn't buy discipline. Based on the reviews I read I didn't think I'd like it. Except for "Feedback," I haven't been impressed with anything she's released since "Someone to Call My Lover."