Wednesday, November 12, 2008

MySpace previews new Beyoncé album


MySpace Music has the entire new Beyoncé album, I Am...Sasha Fierce available for free preview. Aside from the dual personality gimmick (which I think is really stupid--Beyoncé didn't have to pretend to be someone else to sing "Crazy in Love"), the album is good--perhaps her best yet. My first thoughts about it:

Slow disc: Overall, very good, and definitely more a pop than R&B sound.
Good: If I Were a Boy (fantastic), Disappear (refreshingly restrained), Broken-Hearted Girl (obvious future single), Ave Maria (gorgeous), Satellites (also a nice gentle touch), Smash Into You.
Skip: Halo (too bombastic), That's Why You're Beautiful (odd).

Upbeat disc: This is more R&B leaning, mining the current beat and electro trends with some retro stuff too. As such it's good, but I'm partial to the slower first disc, surprisingly.
Good: Single Ladies (like something from B'day but with video game sound effects), Radio (sound effects rich and made for its moniker), Sweet Dreams (cool '80s vibe from deep synths), Ego (playful and old school). Scared of Lonely (cool synth melody).
Okay: Hello (big sound, but quotes Jerry Maguire)
Skip: Diva (annoying and tuneless), Video Phone (same gripe).

I'll do a proper review soon.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Myspace Music have announced an exclusive online listening event for the diva's upcoming album.All MySpace users will be able to listen to the entire album one week before it's official release.The multi-talented award-winning entertainer delivers a stunning set live from Bermuda. In an effort for album promotion Beyonce and her team decided to let fans listen to her album a week before they buy it.

-------------------------------------

kesha

Internet Marketing

J.Mensah said...

I'm really glad you like it! (I don't like seriously!) -- I have a question!!!! do pre-orders count for first week sales on the billboard 200 or the uk album chart

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Kesha - Did you know that blogger has announced an exclusive online service called blogspot.com that allows you to write about things like MySpace Music exclusive online listening events for Beyonce's upcoming album? You should check it out. Perhaps you didn't notice that my post is about the very thing you purport to advertise.

J.Mensah - That's a good question and I'm not sure. I'll look into it. And by the way, did you know that I have a blog where I write about US and UK pop music and charts? (Kesha apparently knows it!)

J.Mensah said...

LOL! easy on the sarcasm!... erm... you know how I change the look of my personal chart like all the freakin time cuz i can't make up my mind, well it gets kind afrustrating so it's going to be inpsired by you :)

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Yay! Good choice. By the way, the more I listen to Beyonce's new album, the more I like it. Are you sure you don't?

J.Mensah said...

Lol! I really don't want to give Beyonce a bad review -- The first half is growing on me... really slowly... but the second half is just hopeless! "Single Ladies" is good and that's about it... "Diva", "Video Phone", "Radio" < not that bad) are just really... erm... like u said very tuneless

Anonymous said...

I like "If I Were a Boy" and "Ave Maria."

Cook In / Dine Out said...

"Ave Maria" is really good. It didn't stand out at first, but now I love it. Even "Halo," which I said in my review I didn't like is starting to grow on me.