Sunday, November 30, 2008

Album Review: Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak (4.5/5)

Eminem was the decade's most "important" rapper until he couldn't find anything else to rap about except how wonderful his daughter is and how wonderful his wife is not. Thankfully a new face emerged in 2004, Kanye West, who has since worn the mantle as the decade's biggest star in hip-hop. All three of his albums--the university-themed The College Dropout, Late Registration and Graduation--were nominated for the Album of the Year Grammy. None of them won (and he was famously vocally upset when Late Registration lost to U2), but he keeps trying, delivering not just critically acclaimed music, but big hits too, like his Jamie Foxx collaboration "Gold Digger" or the Daft Punk-sampling "Stronger."

West's writing, sampling and songcraft is a cut above most of his peers. Although I'm not a big rap fan, but I've always liked his stuff. With his new album 808s & Heartbreak, rather than go on to graduate school, West takes a new direction. Most notably he's singing this time, but there are other important differences too. Gone (mostly) are the boasts about how wonderful he is, the interlude skits and the endless shopping trips down Fifth Avenue (if hip-hop is a materialistic medium, then West is its biggest purveyor of luxury goods).

The mood is more somber too, and with good reason. Since Graduation came out last year, he broke off a long-term engagement and dealt with the unexpected death of his mother. The album opens with "Say You Will," a lament for an ended relationship that has a meditative quality from its repetition of electronic bleeps, strings, drum programming and choir voices that make up its musical structure. The equally down "Welcome to Heartbreak" follows with a fantastic keyboard (both tinkling and bass) and drumbeat melody reminiscent of '80s Depeche Mode. It's another lament: this time West ponders his life choices to pursue a career over a family. The song shows his usual talent for turning clever lyrics ("my friend showed me pictures of his kids, and I all I could show him was pictures of my cribs").

"Heartless," the new single, is a little more upbeat, but also more stripped down, with just a keyboard and drum machine backing. The auto-tune effect (you know it--listen to Cher's "Believe" or anything from T-Pain), used throughout the album, is turned up full here for the choruses. "Amazing" takes a break from the wallowing to briefly boast about his career ("my reign is as far as your eyes can see...it's amazing'). The keeps the same haunting sound, backed by piano and choir. Young Jeezy shows up too, delivering one of the album's few raps, all of which are from guests.

Next comes my favorite two songs on the album. First is "Love Lockdown," the single that a few months ago announced the new direction the album would take. I remember it being controversial, and I wasn't sure if I liked it, but it grew on me and now I love it. It's a very appealing song that is again, quite simple: just piano chords, deep bass beats, and a thundering drumline during the chorus. "Paranoid" though is the album's true gem. It's the only truly upbeat moment here, and it's a lot of fun, embodying a electric '80s dance pop beat.

"Robocop" provides the album's most humorous moment. Over a bright and prominent strings arrangement, West tells the story of a woman who was "a drama queen that a turn my life into Stephen King." Uh oh! When she won't give up prying into his business, he retorts "I don't need no Robocop." "Street Lights" and "Bad News" see the darker tone return. These songs are pretty good, but not highlights. Better is "See You in My Nightmares," a similarly dark piece that features Lil Wayne. Final track, "Coldest Winter" is a reworking of Tears for Fears' "Memories Fade" It combines the thundering drums of "Love Lockdown" with the somber mood of the opening tracks. It's a sad song and would be a fitting closing number, although its followed by "Pinocchio Story," which would be a good closing number except that it's a live recording and the somber mood is broken by the clearly ecstatic screaming fans that punctuate it.

Despite a bit of sagging at the end, this is for the most part a really enjoyable album. As a pop music fan, it's my favorite thing he's done. The sad songs are quite lovely and feel genuine; the few upbeat numbers, especially "Paranoid," are a lot of fun.

Best: Paranoid, Love Lockdown, Welcome to Heartbreak, Amazing, Heartless, Say You Will, Robocop, Coldest Winter

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your review makes me want to listen to this album. The next time you play it for me, I should really pay attention.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

It's good! I'm glad someone finally commented on this review.

Anonymous said...

Good review. I've been curious to listen to this, so I may pick it up soon. Love Lockdown is probably my favourite single of this year, just love the piano.

By the way, are you planning on listening to Day & Age any time soon. Its great, and I think that you would like it. I'm just curious as to what scorre you would give it.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Thanks. I'm actually planning on reviewing Day & Age this weekend. I do like it, although it's not as good as I was hoping. The first three songs are really great, but after that I'm not hearing many standouts.

Anonymous said...

Really? I thought that I Cant Stay and The World That We Live In were definitely stand out tracks.