Monday, December 15, 2008

The race for Christmas #1

It's time for the UK's biggest chart week of the year--the race for Christmas #1. For the last three years the honor has gone to the recently crowned winner of The X Factor. This year looks no different as this year's show's winner Alexandra Burke looks set to easily take #1 with her remake of "Hallelujah." So really, I guess the race is for Christmas #2, as my partner Chris has pointed out. So here is the sure bet for #1 and the contenders for Christmas #2...

The favorite: Alexandra Burke "Hallelujah"



The underdog: Geraldine McQueen "Once Upon a Christmas Song"

Geraldine made a splash in the fall when (s)he sold more copies than what should have been Leon Jackson's "Bleeding Love." Will the reality show parody trick land another hit?



Last week's #1: Leona Lewis "Run"

She's got a head start and the momentum of having been #1 last week. Is it enough to let her be Christmas #2?



The clubby pick: Basshunter "I Miss You" or "Jingle Bells"

For those that like Basshunter, he's offering up not one but two Christmastime singles, a straight up dance hit, "I Miss You," and a eurodiscoed version of "Jingle Bells"



The rebel rockin' choice: Wombats "Is This Christmas?"



The charity release: Bandaged "Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth"

This was out last week, but I suppose it could increase this week, although I doubt it has a shot at Christmas #2.



Other records out this week: Snow Patrol "Crack the Shutters," Kaiser Chiefs "Good Days and Bad Days," Britannia High "Watch This Space," Jason Mraz "I'm Yours," Katie Melua "Toy Collection," Outsiders Featuring Amanda Wilson "Keep This Fire Burnin'"

6 comments:

J.Mensah said...

ALEXANDRA FOR #1!!! TO SAVE MY ASS FROM GROUNDING! and awwww! that's too cute! "partner chris" ; i swear my girlfriend obsesses over gay people she loves em ;)

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Why would you be grounded if she didn't win? From all the calls?

J.Mensah said...

Yeah i made the mistake of not reading how much it cost every time you voted... so i just voted 31 times

Myfizzypop said...

i concur - i pretty much ignore the Christmas number one now and go straight for the Christmas number two. Why Jason mraz and the ace britannia high song are hidden away in such a tough week is beyond me!! I think I will be happy if Leona is number two, but as Geraldine is marginally amusing and for charity i suppose that I can't begrudge him/her a number two single either :)

John said...

It appears the rumors are true, that Geraldine HAS been on a steroid regimen. Her voice has dropped at least half an octave since her last hit.

Is it bad of me to really not be all that inspired by the picks? And I probably should watch out, but I just don't find Alexandra's version of "Hallelujah" to be all that appealing. If November's music releases were ones to anticipate, December is turning into a month to dread.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I have to disagree about "Hallelujah." I think it's my favorite of the X Factor victory singles yet. I like that they chose a song less well known (or least less recent) than the last couple of years.