Saturday, December 06, 2008

Q names Kings of Leon best of '08


Q Magazine has named their annual 50 best albums of 2008. Kings of Leon topped the list with Only By the Night, a bit of a surprise. The band appeared on last year's list at #7 with Because of the Times. Here's a look at the top 10:
01. Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night.
02. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes. This would appear to be the album I missed this year. I'll have to check it out in the next few weeks.

03. Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends. No surprise to see Coldplay faring prominently, although this is actually the first time they haven't topped the list outright. Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head won the "reader's choice" in 2000 and 2002 (before they started the ranked list in 2003) and X&Y was #1 in 2005.

04. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend. I know this album has its fans, but I didn't care for it. Overrated, didn't like it, but I know others did.

05. Glasvegas - Glasvegas. This is a great album, deserves to be here.

06. Duffy - Rockferry. I'm very happy to see Duffy made it into the top 10. Fantastic pop album.

07. TV On The Radio - Dear Science. This is okay. I think this was the only album Q gave 5 stars to this year (although, shouldn't it be #1 then?)

08. Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid. The Mercury Prize winner. Pretty good album. It will probably land on my top 25 of the year list, but not in the top 10.

09. The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely. Good album, although I didn't listen to it much after I reviewed it.

10. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! I really didn't like this album, but again, I know the critics loved it, so I'm not surprised to see it here.

Other highlights on the list:

12. Keane - Perfect Symmetry. Q didn't place them as high as in 2004 with Hopes and Fears (#2) or in 2006 with Under the Iron Sea (#6). Still, #12 is awfully generous, given that I thought this album, while good, was not as good as their others, and its singles' chart prospects have been disastrous.
13. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular. Nice to see them here. They had a great breakthrough year.
14. Kaiser Chiefs - Off with Their Heads. This was a great album that seems to be escaping the attention of the public. They were #13 last year with Yours Truly Angry Mob and #3 in 2005 with Employment.
22. The Killers - Day & Age. First time The Killers landed outside the top 10. Interesting. I haven't passed judgement on this album yet (will be soon).

24. The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement. I'd have thought this would have been in the top 10. Arctic Monkeys had the #1 album of 2006 and #3 of 2007.
32. Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul. This is rather low too. I thought Dig Out Your Souls was really good. Don't Beleive the Truth was #4 in 2005.

50. Dido - Safe Trip Home. Safe Trip Home makes the list but Life for Rent didn't in 2003? C'mon.

No comments: