Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Best Films of 2008

This is a preliminary list. I'll do a full rundown later. I still need to see Revolutionary Road and The Reader at least before I can have a final list of the year.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Milk
3. Gran Torino
4. Doubt
5. Man on Wire
6. Frozen River
7. The Wrestler
8. Burn After Reading
9. Rachel Getting Married
10. Vicky Christina Barcelona

Honorable Mention: American Teen, Happy Go Lucky, Sex and the City, Wall-E

Overrated: The Dark Knight, Frost/Nixon, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Amazing lead performances:

1. Sean Penn in Milk
2. Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino
3. Meryl Streep in Doubt
4. Kristin Scott Thomas in I've Loved You So Long
5. Melissa Leo in Frozen River
6. Sally Hawkins in Happy Go Lucky
7. Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married
8. Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler
9. Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon

Amazing supporting performances:

1. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Viola Davis and Amy Adams in Doubt
2. Elsa Zylberstein in I've Loved You So Long
3. James Franco and Josh Brolin in Milk
4. Dev Patel in Slumdog Millionaire
5. Rosemarie DeWitt in Rachel Getting Married
6. Penelope Cruz in Vicky Christina Barcelona
7. Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight (He was good, even if I wasn't wowed by the film)
8. Bee Vang and Ahney Her in Gran Torino
9. Brad Pitt in Burn After Reading

4 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

two of your top five are in my top five :) And amazing films they are too (they are your top two)! I also loved Frost / Nixon - thought it was electrifying :) Great list with some thoughtful commentary...happy new year!

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Hi Paul! Happy new year to you too. I'm headed to New York for the weekend, so I won't be blogging the next few days. Slumdog Millionaire and Milk are definitely my favorites--and it was hard to choose Slumdog over Milk. Have you seen Gran Torino? It's really good too.

J.Mensah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.Mensah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.