Saturday, October 10, 2009

Stephen Gately Dead

I'm back from my trip, but unfortunately greeted with this bad news. Stephen Gately of Boyzone was found dead today while on vacation in Majorca, Spain. He was 33.

Gately came out of the closet in the summer of 1999, becoming the first openly gay member of a major boyband. He and his partner Andrew Cowles entered into a civil union in 2006.

Boyzone was a major success, scoring 17 top 5 hits in the UK, including 6 #1s. Most recently, the band reunited for a reunion tour and greatest hits set last year, hitting #5 with new single "Love You Anyway." In 2000, Gately tried his hand at a solo career, hitting #3 in the UK with his first single "New Beginning."

My favorite Gately song was from Boyzone's third album Where We Belong. "You Flew Away," although credited to the band, features lead vocals from Gately, who also wrote it. It's rather apt way to remember him at the moment.

8 comments:

A1 said...

it brings me to tears, too bloody young , too bloody talented!!

rcLoy said...

:'(
Stephen, Rest in Peace.

J.Mensah said...

2009 is turning out to be a pretty fucked up year :( RIP Stephen.

Myfizzypop said...

so very sad :(

constant gina said...

wow I defiantly remember Boyzone from when I was a child.

Amy said...

That is a shame, a lot of entertainers are dying so young, Fame is not worth the price. I offer my condolences to his loved ones.

Sam Kaufman said...

There have been so many sad/tragic stories in the news lately. The reports on Gately's passing seem pretty vague in general, but there are (of course) a lot of rumors about it floating around

london said...

I hope he rest in peace..