Saturday, October 31, 2009

Best of 2000s: Hard-Fi - Once Upon a Time in the West (4.5/5)

To follow their acclaimed debut, Stars of CCTV, English band Hard-Fi went for a grander, more mainstream sound on their second album. It seems every band still wants to be the next U2--a distinction only Coldplay can reliably lay claim to. That said, Once Upon a Time in the West's big melodies still largely succeed, punctuated as they are by enough quiet spaces to distinguish the louder ones. First single "Suburban Knights" bristles with energy, while second single "Can't Get Along (Without You)" swaggers like a brassy Smash Mouth track. Piano ballad "Tonight" is my favorite though, a classic build-to-the-big moment sing-along of a song.

Best: Tonight, Suburban Knights, Can't Get Along, I Shall Overcome, We Need Love, Television

3 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

actually it was such an underrated album and perhaps far more accomplished than their first (though tied up too tight remains my fave song of theirs). I look forward to a third album in the new year.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I listened to Stars of CCTV the same day I listened to Once Upon a Time. I agree their second album is more accomplished. I'm surprised it didn't generate more hits. I'll definitely be interested in their new album, which I didn't realize was teed up to come out soon.

J.Mensah said...

I like this album. They seem more... simpler than U2.