Saturday, April 11, 2009

Best of 2000s: Other albums 2000-2002

I've worked my way through 2002 in my best albums of the decade series. Here are 10 more notable albums from 2000-2002:

NSYNC - No Strings Attached
With their second album, NSYNC emerged from the shadow cast by Backstreet Boys. Whereas Backstreet was best with mid-tempo ballads, NSYNC excelled with a more uptempo sound. Those with time on their hands could probably have a rather heated debate as to whether BSB's "I Want It That Way" or NSYNC's "Bye Bye Bye" is the definitive boyband song. Essential: Bye Bye Bye

Sade - Lover's Rock
It had been 8 years since their last album, but Lover's Rock showed that Sade hadn't lost their touch for romantic adult pop. Backed by gentle percussion, guitar, strings and keyboards, Sade Adu's voice sounds just as you remembered it. Essential: By Your Side

Janet Jackson - All for You
During the late '80s and early '90s Janet Jackson owned the dance pop scene. While her status has steadily declined throughout this decade, All for You was her last successful album, delivering another mostly enjoyable mix of upbeat anthems, ballads and sexual come ons. Essential: Someone to Call My Lover

Music from Baz Luhrmann's Film Moulin Rouge!
The Moulin Rouge! soundtrack was a surprise hit in 2001. While the pop diva remake of "Lady Marmalade" was a smash hit, the album delivered other gems like "Elephant Love Medley," which creates a story line by stealing bits and pieces from famous love songs, and the affecting original song, "Come What May." Essential: Come What May

Airlock - Drystar
Whatever you call it--downbeat, ambient, "chill"--sometimes a good dose of laid back electronic music hits the spot. I discovered this album a few years after it came out and got hooked by its dark beats and smooth melodies. Essential: Slipinside

Radiohead - Amnesiac
Kid A was a stunning departure from OK Computer, but Amnesiac was even weirder, disturbing even. Songs like "Pyramid Song" would be merely haunting if it wasn't for the lack of even tempo that injects it with disquieting unease. Essential: Knives Out

Muse - Origin of Symmetry
With their second album, Muse really made a name for themselves. Their over-the-top gothic, space-age rock is something to be behold, laced with electronic effects, organs, mad drumming and crazy falsetto vocals. Essential: Bliss

P!nk - M!ssundaztood
After churning out a few Babyface-produced R&B/pop hits, Pink declared "enough of that" and emerged on her second album with a personality of her own--and a strong one at that, working with Linda Perry to create a stunning pop fusion of rock, dance, punk and R&B. Can't Take Me Home may have been Pink's first album, but M!ssndaztood was her debut. Essential: Get the Party Started

Moby - 18
Play made Moby a superstar, so it's no surprise that 18 is similar. Songs like "In This World," "In My Heart" and "Extreme Ways" (which became famous for its use in the Bourne films) repeat the effective formula of pairing old soul samples with electronica and tinkling piano. The gorgeous title track instrumental proves that electronic music can be a moving experience. Essential: 18

Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta Get Thru This
His little sister Natasha may be the more famous Bedingfield now, but brother Daniel was the first to achieve success, scoring three UK #1 hits between 2001 and 2003. His 2002 debut album was an exercise in versatility, jumping from garage ("Gotta Get Thru This") to rock ("I Can't Read You") to adult contemporary ("If You're Not the One"). Essential: Gotta Get Thru This

8 comments:

J.Mensah said...

I'm REALLY glad you incorporated Janets "All for You" I had a very unhealthy obsession wit that album. Although you probably didn't mean it... i love the use of the word "come" to describe the album. LOL!

Matt said...

Hooray for Origin of Symmetry. Probably my favourite album of the decade, if only because it's what really got me into music. This was one of the first albums that I listened to after I started to move away from listening solely to what the radio played, and stuff like New Born, Citizen Erased, Bliss, Megalomania, and Space Dementia was awe-inspiring at the time. Still is, for me.

I wanted to ask, have you heard Modest Mouse's "The Moon and Antarctica"? It's a fantastic album, definitely in my top 10 of the decade, but it's not here. I think it's kind of a love-it-or-hate-it kind of sound, though.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

J. Mensah - Are you trying out to be JJ's lyricist?

Matt - Actually, after you'd suggested it, I went back and gave Origin of Symmetry another listen. It's also the favorite of a friend of mine who got me interested in Muse. I haven't heard that Modest Mouse album, but I will listen to it soon.

Matt said...

Awesome. Hope you enjoy the Modest Mouse. Great album to listen to in sequence.

Matt said...

Also, I didn't see this before, but thank you for recommending Bliss. It's my favourite song on that album.

rcLoy said...

dude. no BSB's Millenium?

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Millennium was 1999. Close! Doing this makes me want to do a best of the 1990s series next year. Perhaps I will.

rcLoy said...

Do it man. I wanna see BSB on top tho. lolz. Keep up the great work. =)