Saturday, November 14, 2009

Album Review: Maxwell - BLACKsummers'night (4/5)


Admittedly, this isn't the kind of thing I usually listen to, but I actually quite like Maxwell's album, BLACKsummers'night. Not sure what's going on with the album's oddly punctuated title, but the music itself hits all the right notes for a sultry, soulful evening. "Bad Habits" sets the mood--smooth, soulful and adult R&B, "Cold" adds a prominent brass section, and "Pretty Wings" is simply a lovely lovelorn ballad.

"Help Somebody" is a more forceful, backed strongly by the brass section, while "Stop the World" is mellower. Placed right next to each other, the songs create a question as to Maxwell's social motives. "Help Somebody" could be read as a humanitarian plea, but it could also just refer to himself, while "Stop the World" definitely aims to place all other concerns on hold in favor of a personal romantic pursuit. "Love You" charges ahead on its prominent beat and piano chords.

"Fistful of Tears" tells the story of a troubled relationship. Several reviews I've read really praised this song, but it doesn't really excite me, for its melody is awfully repetitive. I'm more partial to the next track, the quiet, acoustic guitar-backed "Playing Possum," with the cool horn solo. "Phoenix Rise" closes the album on a strong note, building a layered melody with synths, guitars and drums.

Most R&B I listen to is that which crosses over to top 40. It's nice to hear something different for a change--something that isn't punctuated by a third act rap or coated with aut0-tune. I read this is the first in a trilogy of albums Maxwell is planning, with the second album to focus on gospel and the third on slow jams. Gospel doesn't really interest me, but the slow jams album might be interesting. I started listening to this because I think it might be nominated for the Album of the Year Grammy Award, but over the last couple months I've been coming back to it again and again.

Best: Pretty Wings, Bad Habits, Stop the World, Cold

3 comments:

Chris B. said...

I like gospel music. I'd be curious to hear Maxwell's.

A1 said...

i loved his previous work..still to this day "urban hang suite" remains a favourite of mine

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Chris - I didn't know you liked gospel. Let's listen to some.

A1 - I really don't know him that well, but I remember "How Does It Feel," which I thought was pretty good.