Monday, August 24, 2009

UK Singles Chart, 8/29/2009

1. Sexy Bitch - David Guetta Featuring Akon

French DJ David Guetta scores his second #1 hit this year, becoming the fourth act to have landed two singles atop the UK chart in 2009. In fact, the last three #1 hits were all second #1s--the other two being Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling" and Tinchy Stryder's "Never Leave You." Like his last chart-topper, this also features an American R&B singer, this time Akon, who, like "When Love Takes Over's" featured singer Kelly Rowland, is no stranger to the British charts. Akon topped the chart in 2005 with "Lonely" and again in 2006 with "Smack That" featuring Eminem. When you consider that this summer's chart toppers have included Cascada's "Evacuate the Dancefloor," La Roux's "Bulletproof," and Dizzee Rascal's "Bonkers"--in addition to the aforementioned Stryder and Guetta tracks--it's been a rather dance pop summer in Britain.

6. Remedy - Little Boots

Little Boots jumps four spots to #6 on the back of "Remedy's" physical release. Not the top 5 single it looked like it could be from the midweek reports, but so very very close. I'm rather glad this did well. I haven't heard what her next single will be yet, but I'm really hoping its time to give a proper release to "Stuck on Repeat."

7. Outta Here - Esmee Denters

Dutch singer Esmee Denters debuts at #7 with her first UK single. Not bad for first time out. While I'm still not won over by this song, it's not bad (see my post from earlier in the week).

11. The Day I Died - Just Jack

Just Jack just misses the top 10 with "The Day I Died," a much better single in my opinion than "Embers." The album, All Night Cinema, is out next week.

22. Jump - Flo Rida Featuring Nelly Furtado

"Jump" jumps up another couple places to #22. It's out in stores today--will it make a big leap next weekend? In the US, this song has already faded after peaking at #54 and has quickly been replaced by "Be on You" featuring Ne-Yo.

23. 22 - Lily Allen

Lily Allen climbs 14 notches to #23 with "22." It's out today; will it be her sixth top 10 hit this weekend?

33. Lovegame - Lady GaGa

Lady GaGa scores her fouth top 40 hit this week with "Lovegame." Selected as the third single in North America instead of "Paparazzi," "Lovegame" has already been a top 5 hit in the U.S.

37. Number 1 - Tinchy Stryder Feat. N-Dubz
38. Poker Face - Lady GaGa
39. Bonkers - Dizzee Rascal & Armand Van Helden
40. I'm Not Alone - Calvin Harris

Wow, look at all those former #1 hits bunched up together at the bottom of the top 40.

2 comments:

rcLoy said...

Am I the only one who think that the album edit Stuck On Repeat lack the oomph of the original version?

Can't really get her into my head, Esmee, She gotta do better than that song.

oh, have you check out The Sound of Arrows? I think they are pretty fantastic pop songs. M.A.G.I.C and Into The Clouds.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I actually think I prefer the edit of "Stuck on Repeat." I think its more effective.