Saturday, August 08, 2009

Best of 2000s: Rachel Stevens - Come and Get It (4.5/5)

Come and Get It is a tragically underrated and underappreciated album. Released in 2005, ahead of the current craze for '80s-styled electro pop, Come and Get It was a true gem of a pop album. Coming from a former member of S Club 7, I wasn't expecting much, but didn't that just contribute to how blown away we are were by this? It's a shame Rachel Stevens hasn't made another album since. Sadly, the singles were not big hits, but they were great songs. Charging "So Good," funky "I Said Never Again," and groovy "Negotiate with Love" all should have been top 5 hits. There are plenty of great album tracks too, like the very '80s-styled "Secret Garden" (I'd forgotten how much I liked that song when I listened to this again for this write-up, it's quite cool), disco-stomping "Funny How" and the almost-single "Nothing Good About This Goodbye" (I'm fairly certain I saw this on an upcoming releases list, but then it got yanked). Even the mellower "I Will Be There" works great.

Best: Secret Garden, Nothing Good About This Goodbye, So Good, Some Girls, Negotiate with Love, I Said Never Again (But Here We Are), Funny How, I Will Be There

2 comments:

J.Mensah said...

Memories! This was the first ever album you ever reviewed =] and I remember buying it last year because of it. If only more people would.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I hope she puts out another album. This was a real missed opportunity.