Thursday, July 30, 2009

Billboard Hot 100, August 8, 2009

1. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
2. Best I Ever Had - Drake

Black Eyed Peas spend a 5th week at #1 with "I Gotta Feeling," again it's this week's airplay gainer and Drake, at #2, has lost his bullet, so I don't think he'll be eclipsing the peas. As Billboard is reporting, this makes 17 consecutive weeks at the top for the group, breaking the 16-consecutive week record for a duo or group being at #1, set in 1994 by Boyz II Men (and equaled by them in 1996). They are still 2 weeks shy of Usher's overall 19-week record.

3. Knock You Down - Keri Hilson Featuring Kanye West & Ne-Yo
4. You Belong with Me - Taylor Swift

This one I'm still not counting out though. After 5 weeks at #4, Hilson finally climbs back up to #3. She "knocks" down Taylor Swift one spot to #4, although both songs are bulleted.

5. Use Somebody - Kings of Leon

Kings of Leon make an impressive leap into the top 10, scoring their first top 10 and top 5 hit with "Use Somebody," which is this week's digital gainer.

9. Waking Up in Vegas - Katy Perry

Katy Perry finally climbs above #10 with "Waking Up in Vegas." The single reached its former peak position 9 weeks ago and never climbed any higher until now.

10. Battlefield - Jordin Sparks

Jordin Sparks scores her third top 10 hit with "Battlefield," which climbs 15 notches. Two years ago she hit #8 with "Tattoo," and last year #3 with her Chris Brown duet, "No Air." That puts her in third place among American Idol winners for the most top 10 hits:

1. Kelly Clarkson (8)
2. Carrie Underwood (4)
3. Jordin Sparks (3)
4. Ruben Studdard (2)
5. Fantasia (1)
5. Taylor Hicks (1)
5. David Cook (1)
8. Kris Allen (0)

15. Here We Go Again - Demi Lovato

Demi Lovato makes a comfortable 9-spot jump to #15 with "Here We Go Again." I'm a little surprised to see it do so well. Perhaps I should go listen to it.

17. Obsessed - Mariah Carey

Mariah Carey rebounds 3 places to #17 after falling 9 spots from #11 to #20 last week.

39. That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings

The Ting Tings score their first top 40 hit with "That's Not My Name," up 2 spots this week. The band's first single, "Shut Up and Let Me Go" peaked at #55 over a year ago. "That's Not My Name" was a #1 hit in the UK in May....of 2008.

40. Ego - Beyonce

"Ego" finally cracks the top 40, becoming Beyonce's 17th top 40 hit. Strange that "Sweet Dreams" hasn't appeared on the Hot 100 yet.

9 comments:

J.Mensah said...

MC FTW! I've just suddenly got this thing for Mariah again, it's weird. I went to the beach today and took the radio with me, I'm shocked at how much "Obsessed" is being played over here.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

You know, it's funny you say that. I just was listening to Glitter samples on iTunes and decided...why not. I like the '80s-style tracks.

J.Mensah said...

Really? It's actually a pretty a good album, I would never admit it widely though lol. It's the only MC albums (along with E=MC2) i don't own physically.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I'm missing Rainbow and Charmbracelet. And I'm not in a hurry to correct that.

J.Mensah said...

"Th bomb(s) of the bunch" I mean I really like the cover and that's about it lol.

John said...

Well, the Tings can at least get bragging rights on a Top 40 single, if nothing else. Glad to see they've hung in there. Kind of reminds me of Moving Pictures's "What About Me" for just the longevity.

Myfizzypop said...

i'm kind of happy it made top 10 (*Battlefield!) It has stalled just shy in the UK but hung around so much that it's sold 124000 copies, which is probably more than some top ten hits, right?!

Not heard any Drake music - is he the dude from Degrassi or am I totally confuzzled?!

rcLoy said...

Ting Tings Thats Not My Name seriously sound a bit dated already but a great song nonetheless. I'm just excited about Kings Of Leon's Use Somebody! No. 1 song all over it but somehow only manage to score no 2 in UK. Boo!

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Paul - Yes! Drake is from Degrassi. Good work. "Best I Ever Had" is a major hit in the US right now. I imagine it will be coming your way soon.

rcLoy - "Use Somebody" spent 31 weeks in the UK top 40, including 13 weeks in the top 10. So even though it didn't hit #1, it was a much much bigger hit than most #1 songs are. It's actually the 9th best-selling single of the year so far in the UK, despite having been released in October 2008.