Monday, March 23, 2009

Yes!

I listened to Pet Shop Boys' new album probably 4 or 5 times today. It's great! I enjoyed Fundamental, but this is even better. It's certainly lighter and more fun. For the last decade, PSB's seemed trapped in the "drama" of it all, from the obvious theatrics of Nightlife to the moody political tones of Fundamental. Yes casts that aside in favor of sharp dance pop. I'll say little more, since I'll do a proper review before the end of the week. Highlights:

"All Over the World" - Uses a recurring riff from the Nutcracker with a handclap beat.
"Beautiful People" - Great guitar and horns melody and sharp lyrics, with a '70s (pre disco) feel to it.
"Did You See Me Coming?" - Very-ish upbeat dance pop.
"Building a Wall" - Surprisingly complex melody with a bit of mystery. Didn't stand out at first, but now is really growing on me.
"King of Rome" - Nice laid back synth groove.

3 comments:

Ken said...

I'm very eager to hear the new PSB album but I haven't got the chance to listen to it because I'm very busy. Anyways, nice blog. Wanna link up? Thanks.

J.Mensah said...

My friend is HUGE Pet Shop Boys fan... He's been rabbeting on about Yes! all last week. I may check out the album soon.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Hi Ken. I like your blog. We seem to have similar interests.

J. you should check it out. It's great old fashioned dance pop.