Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bored...

For the last few days I've been a bit bored with current music. Nothing exciting was released this week on iTunes. No interesting new singles from the UK--just "Love Etc." from Pet Shop Boys. Hopefully their new album out next week will bring back my mojo.

In the meantime, I've been spending more time listening to '90s music, trying to expose myself to different albums I didn't pay much attention to then. Despite the '90s being all about alternative rock, I spent most of that time listening to pop and dance. It's rather shocking when you consider that in 1995 I was 1) in college, 2) attending college in the state of Washington, and 3) a music fan in general. Sure I listened to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and The Cranberries, but that was about it. Most of the time it was Madonna, Janet Jackson, Celine Dion and Pet Shop Boys 24/7.

So what have I been listening to? A number of different things. Sunday on MySpace Music I listened to Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville, which was Spin's best album of 1993. Much different than her recent eponymous disc with "Why Can't I." I'd like to listen to this more. My Bloody Valentine's Loveless (1992) was interesting, although a little too odd and drowned-out sounding. The few tracks I heard from Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted (1991) were interesting, and I might get that album. I went ahead and ordered Beck's Odelay (1996), Tricky's Maxinquaye (1995), and Pearl Jam's Ten (1991), the last of which I had on tape but have long since lost.

From my own collection, I gave Hole's Live Through This (1994) a fresh spin. It's quite good! "Violet" is a tight song, "Miss World" starts off sounding maudlin, but picks up. I love the bass in "Asking for It," and "Jennifers Body" is a another good rocker. Most of the time way back when I only listened to "Doll Parts," which I still love. I also listened to Sinead O'Connor's I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got (1990) and Depeche Mode's Violator (1990)--both of which I've always loved. Today I listened to Nirvana's Nevermind (1991), which is, of course, classic, as well as R.E.M.'s Out of Time (1991).

2 comments:

John said...

Yeah...there's a lot of new stuff, but not a lot is really catching my attention beyond the PSB and Depeche Mode.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Agreed. I hope they are good. I'm actually enjoying listening to some older stuff for a change.