Monday, September 15, 2008

Preview Will Young's "Let It Go"


7Digital added Will Young's upcoming album Let It Go for pre-sale today. Check it out here, where you can hear 30 second clips. Some first impressions...

1. Changes. The single we know and love.
2. Grace. Threatens to be Broadway-ish at first but then sounds like a decent string-laden balled.
3. Won't Look Down. Retro, strings, horns, upbeat. sounds good.
4. Tell Me the Worst. Guitar ballad, tender, sounds nice.
5. I Won't Give Up. Retro, horns, upbeat. I think I see a trend. Not a bad one though.
6. Disconnected. '70s-style ballad, quite melodic. Also sounds good.
7. If Love Equals Nothing. Soulful ballad with a horn solo.
8. Love. Ooh...sounds disco-ish, but subdued. Cool.
9. Simple Philosophy. Sounds okay, probably the first sample that hasn't really grabbed me.
10. Let It Go. Strings, piano, acoustic guitar ballad. Nice.
11. Are You Happy. Funky 70s beat, horns, upbeat. Another winner.
12. You Don't Know. Piano, strings, and guitar ballad. Sounds like its really pretty.
13. Free Your Mind. Guitar, very slow. Hard to tell from a sample if this is a good one.

This is very very promising. Maybe his best yet? I'll have to hear the whole thing to be sure, but I'm even more excited now.

4 comments:

diego said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.Mensah said...

You know before you had this blog, where did you use to publish your Personal Chart.?!

J.Mensah said...

Oh! i have another Q! i know this is kinda of an unfair question but if you had a list of the 100 greatest albums of this mellenium who would u have in ur top 10? i REALLY wanna do one of those but... my albums doesn't really expand from POP and R&B

Cook In / Dine Out said...

1) I didn't publish it. When I started it in 1990, I wrote it up using a spreadsheet program called Lotus 1-2-3. Since 1995 I've kept it in Excel. 2) That's not an unfair question. I think about that kind of thing a lot. I didn't get interested in popular music until about 1987, so my favorite albums would be limited to the last 20 years or so. Some of my all-time favorite albums are Kylie's Fever, Diva by Annie Lennox, Like a Prayer and Erotica by Madonna, and A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay.