Friday, September 26, 2008

New music I love right now

The Promise - Girls Aloud. Girls Aloud's new single is a slam dunk. I've been listening to it at least daily since it hit the Web last week and I still love it. It departs a bit from the intense electro-pop Xenomania has been creating for them lately--a style that reached its apex with "Biology," a song that lacked a traditional verse-chorus-verse structure. "The Promise" is retro, frothy, and delightful. Who doesn't love that last minute key change? A final act key change always makes for a good pop song. It outshines the Sugababes' latest "Girls," which I like also, but isn't their best. Check out the stylish video:



Love Lockdown - Kanye West. This has completely grown on me the last few days. At first I was a bit taken aback by how unusual it is for him, but now I love it. I like that he's singing and does it well, although it has gone through Cher and T-Pain's computer. That little piano bit at the end may be my favorite part.



Granite - Pendulum. At first, until the vocal comes in, this sounds like a space age James Bond theme. Great energy, fun sound effects, and cool horn refrain.



Changes - Will Young. It's unclear whether Will's going to land in the top 10 this weekend, which is a shame--it should be a #1 contender. Still, it's a great song, and I am looking forward to his new album next week.



Never Miss a Beat - Kaiser Chiefs. I love the call-and-response format of the verses and the "My Sharona"-esque guitar. Great new single--much more fun than "Ruby." Their new album comes courtesy of producer Mark Ronson, so my expectations are high.



Miss Independent - Ne-Yo. Ne-Yo + Stargate is a winning combination, and they've put out another winner with "Miss Independent," a song that extols the virtues of a woman's talent rather than her body. How sad that such a thing passes for novel in music these days.



Forgive Me - Leona Lewis. Nice to hear something upbeat from Leona. And nice to hear anything--finally--since "Better in Time," which was released 7 months ago in the UK. I Cant' find the video anymore, but here's the song:



Green Light - John Legend Featuring Andre 3000. I'm intrigued by John Legend lately, and aside from "Save Room," I haven't been a fan as yet. This is really good though.



Don't Believe in Love - Dido. So nice to have Dido back and with a great, understated first single. Dark and lovely just like we like her.



Daddy's Gone - Glasvegas. I recently reviewed their album and really liked it. This, their latest single, is one of my favorite tracks on it.

3 comments:

J.Mensah said...

Where Have U Been! lol, I LUV FORGIVE ME! i'm in love with the video!... have u heard "womanizer" by britney yet... i was tad dissapointed by it.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I haven't heard Britney's new single yet. I'll have to look for it.

J.Mensah said...

i've posted it on my blog