Sunday, September 14, 2008

UK Singles Chart, 9/20/2008 (40-31)

I'm listening to the Radio 1 chart show today, so this will be in reverse. I'll bold the highlights.

40 (new). Can't Stop Moving (Mirwais Remix) - Sonny J

Sonny J slides into the top 40 just barely with "Can't Stop Moving." I thought this would go higher, as it's pretty decent. The Mirwais Remix really doesn't sound that much different than the original mix (so if you already have the original this is worth getting only if you're a Mirwais fanatic--Mirwais, of course, being principal producer for Madonna's Music and American Life albums).

39 (27). All I Ever Wanted - Basshunter

Basshunter's second single takes a big plunge this week. Fearne and Reggie said Basshunter's new single, "Angel in the Night" will be coming up.

38 (19) The World Should Revolve Around Me - Little Jackie

Little Jackie takes an even bigger plunge this week. I'm surprised this wasn't a bigger hit. It's a pretty decent song. Maybe it wore out its welcome (I've been skipping it on my iPod lately).

37 (new). Paper Planes - M.I.A.

Acclaimed UK rapper M.I.A. scores her first top 40 hit with "Paper Planes." Already a major hit in the U.S. (it's currently #5 on the Hot 100), she finally lands a hit at home--and major hit this could be. It's already charting on downloads, but it's not due for release until Oct. 13.

36 (re-entry). Black and Gold - Sam Sparro

35 (re-entry). One Day Like This - Elbow

Elbow makes a re-entry with their most recent single, "One Day Like This." The track made #39 when it released over the summer, so it improves its peak position a bit. The reappearance is of course due to Elbow having won the Mercury Prize this week for their album Seldom Seen Kid. It's also a great song, my favorite from the album. The band's new single "The Bones of You" will be out later this month.

34 (24). Give It 2 Me - Madonna

Madonna, on the way out. "Miles Away" is expected to be her next single, but I haven't seen a release date yet.

33 (new). C-Lebrity - Queen + Paul Rodgers

Queen's made their first album since 1995, with new singer Paul Rodgers. "C-Lebrity" is the second single from The Cosmos Rocks, out tomorrow. The album's first single, "Say It's Not True," failed to crack the top 40.

32 (28). Forever - Chris Brown

31 (25). She's Like a Star - Taio Cruz

I hadn't heard this yet. It's okay, but I can see why it wasn't a big hit like "Come on Girl."





No comments: