Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Grammy Predictions

The Grammy Awards will be given out Tuesday (Feb. 8). Here are some of my predictions in major categories. (Click below to read them all)

Album of the Year: Kanye West - Late Registration
My Favorite: U2 - How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb

Kanye West should pull it out this year, after having been nominated last year also for The College Dropout. Both albums were critical successes, but Late Registration was even more successful commercially, and features the big hit "Gold Digger." Some pundits predict U2, and the only other person with a chance may be Mariah Carey for The Emancipation of Mimi, which was a great comeback for her last year, but not really her best work (certainly not as good as her two prior albums that were nominated). Gwen Stefani doesn't really have a chance, and personally, I found Love.Angel.Music.Baby. a bit disappointing. Paul McCartney is of course a legend, but this album hasn't gotten much attention. Of course, if it was up to me, this award would be going to Coldplay's X&Y.

Record of the Year: We Belong Together - Mariah Carey
My Favorite: Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz

As with the album of the year, my favorite single, Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone," was not nominated (and surprisingly so, I think), but the remaining nominees do round out well what 2005 was about. "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" could be a contender--it was topical, taken from an album that was nominated for Album of the Year last year, and it was a huge hit (much bigger than "American Idiot," which was nominated in this category last year). Still, since Mariah's not getting the album award, the academy may give her this one for the year's biggest hit. Count out "Hollaback Girl," as we're all surely in banana overkill by now.


Best New Artist: John Legend
My favorite: Keane

Keane is one of my favorite bands, and I was so excited to see then get nominated for this award. Of course, they're probably in last place with this bunch. Ciara fells too commercial, and Fall Out Boy not serious enough. I bet it goes to John Legend, who has earned a great deal of respect it seems.

Female Pop Performance: Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
My favorite: Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson

Kelly just simply must win. This was pop at its best, a huge hit, and earned her a lot of respect, putting to rest any notion that she wasn't meant to be a music star in her own right. Since "We Belong Together" wasn't nominated here, look for Gwen Stefani to be the only possible upset.

Male Pop Performance: Lonely No More - Rob Thomas
My favorite: Sitting, Waiting, Wishing - Jack Johnson

Rob Thomas' debut solo album was overhyped, but "Lonely No More" was a big hit, particularly with the AC crowd. I think Jack Johnson is much more interesting though.

Pop Duo/Group Performance: More Than Love - Los Lonely Boys
My favorite: Mr. Brightside - The Killers

Los Lonely Boys sounds like the kind of lame thing that Grammy voters would like here, even though they've got The Killers and The White Stripes to choose from too. Just as long as it doesn't go to Maroon 5, for a live version of "This Love," which was a huge hit in 2004, not 2005.

Pop Vocal Album: Gwen Stefani - Love.Angel.Music.Baby.
My favorite: Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway

Thinking themselves hip, Grammy will give this one to Gwen Stefani, seeing as she is also nominated in the general album category, but really, her album is not nearly as consistent as Kelly Clarkson's. Fiona Apple's album, which I haven't heard, is also supposed to be quite good.

My other pics (my favorites):
Dance recording: "I Believe in You" - Kylie Minogue
Rock Duo Group performance: "Speed of Sound" - Coldplay
Rock Song: "Beverly Hills" - Weezer
Rock Album: "X&Y" - Coldplay
Alternative Album: "You Could Have it So Much Better" - Franz Ferdinand

No comments: