Saturday, February 11, 2006

Grammy Awards Recap

A hearty congratulations to U2, winner of the coveted Album of the Year Grammy--the most prestigious music award in the American music business--for How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. This is U2's second time winning this award--first time was in 1987 for The Joshua Tree. They were also nominated in 1992 for Achtung Baby and 2001 for All That You Can't Leave Behind. I was expecting Kanye West to win this, but I'm glad U2 won. Of the three best album nominees that I own (U2, Gwen Stefani, and Mariah Carey), U2's disc is my favorite. U2 cleaned up at the Grammies, also winning Best Rock Album, Best Song and Best Rock Performance Duo/Group for "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own," and Best Rock Song for "City of Blinding Lights"

Green Day took home the Record of the Year Grammy for "Boulevard of Broken Dreams." Green Day was nominated in this category last year for "American Idiot." I was rooting for Gorillaz' "Feel Good Inc," but this is certainly deserving. I'm glad it didn't go to Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" as I predicted.

Kelly Clarkson won both of the Grammies she was nominated for, Best Pop Album for Breakway and Best Female Pop Performance for "Since U Been Gone." The Male Pop award went to "From The Bottom of My Heart" by Stevie Wonder and the Duo/Group award went to Maroon 5 for a live rendition of 2-years-old "This Love."

John Legend was named best new artist.

Gorillaz and Madonna opened the show and had a surprisingly smooth transition between "Feel Good Inc." and "Hung Up." Time for a mash-up?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is U2 really that great? Now that I have an iPod, I've been uploading music from ADH's library. I checked out his U2 albums the other day and thought, "Eh. Do I really want to go to the trouble of uploading these?" So I didn't. Is that wrong?