Monday, January 30, 2006

Single Reviews

Thunder In My Heart Again - Meck (4/5)
Grow - Kubb (4/5)
Ride a White Horse - Goldfrapp (4/5)
Analogue (All I Want) - A-Ha (4/5)
Do You Ever Think of Me? - Antony Costa (2/5)
Slipping Away - Moby (3.5/5)

Click below to read the full reviews.
Thunder In My Heart Again - Meck (4/5)

Here's a fun slice of retro, and I'm not talking all the '80s stuff, but pure '70s disco. Quite fun. I think this is either a remake or a remix, not sure which. (2/6)

Grow - Kubb (4/5)

The piano and Keane-like vocals announce that this is clearly in the Coldplay/Keane & Co. vein. Unlike Starsailor's recent single though, this is quite welcome. The piano is great, and I like the singer. Sounds a bit treacly, but it's nice enough to not make one ill. The band is quite good looking too--check out their site. (2/6)

Ride a White Horse - Goldfrapp (4/5)

"Number One" was a disappointing choice for a single I thought, so it's with open arms that I embrace "Ride a White Horse," a great beat-driven thumping Goldfrapp stomper. Very glam and very hot. (2/13)

Analogue (All I Want) - A-Ha (4/5)

Remember "Take On Me?" A-Ha is back and in good form. If you're expecting something light and frothy, you're in for a pleasant surprise. This track opens with a somber bass, keyboard, and piano combo and guitars drive home the chorus. It's surprisingly quite good. (1/23)

Do You Ever Think of Me? - Antony Costa (2/5)

Antony Costa always held a special place in my heart while in Blue. He seemed to be their Joey Fatone--the one that made you laugh, but you weren't sure if he'd make it. This sounds like a Ronan Keating reject. Costa is the last of the Blue boys to record something away from the band, and sadly, it's the most disappointing. Lee Ryan may be getting the most attention, but my money's with Simon Webbe. (2/6)

Slipping Away - Moby (3.5/5)

We all know Moby's a musical genius, so of course this is great, and oh-so Moby, but really not that different from the mellow stuff from Play or 18. Not bad, but not special. If you've heard "Rushing," "Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad," "Porcelain," "Signs of Love," "One of These Mornings," or "Sunday (The Day Before My Birthday)," then you've heard this. (1/23)

No comments: