Thursday, May 14, 2009

Billboard Hot 100, 5/23/2009

1. Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas

Black Eyed Peas spend a sixth week at #1 with "Boom Boom Pow," tying Flo Rida's "Right Round" for the longest stay at #1 so far this year. I must admit, when "Boom Boom Pow" first hit #1, I thought it was a sales boom fluke, but the track has certainly demonstrated that its one of the year's biggest hits, certainly the biggest hit stateside for this group.

5. Halo - Beyonce

Beyonce's "Halo" climbs three spots to #5, becoming her 12th top 5 hit. It's great to see this single really performing well now, since it took so long to take off. There was a time I didn't think this would become a major hit.

13. Birthday Sex - Jeremih

"Birthday Sex" climbs 10 spots to #13 and is this week's airplay gainer. I listened to this song and wasn't impressed.

15. No Surprise - Daughtry

Daughtry's first single from their second album debuts at #15 this week. "No Surprise" appears to be an instant success--it's quickly moving up the top 40 airplay chart too. It's already the band's third-highest charting single, behind their two top 5 hits, "It's Not Over" and "Home."

29. Fire Burning - Kingston

Sean Kingston, who two years ago hit #1 with "Beautiful Girls," returns with the first single from his second album, debuting at #29.

30. Goodbye - Kristinia DeBarge

Remember DeBarge? Neither do I, but I have heard of the '80s R&B group that had a #3 hit with "Rhythm of the Night." Kristinia is the daughter of that band's member James DeBarge. It's been 22 years since a DeBarge had a top 40 hit. Another group member, El DeBarge, had a #3 hit in 1986 ("Who's Johnny"), and another sibling who wasn't in the group, Chico DeBarge, hit #21 in 1987 with "Talk to Me."

2 comments:

John said...

That Jeremih track is just rehashed 90s "H-Town" sexy-time crap. I don't get the appeal, but it's definitely blowing up. As for "Boom", I'm not going to say I'm a fan, but I kind of get it now.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

"Birthday Sex" is awful isn't it? I don't what people are thinking. My favorite part of "Boom Boom Pow" is where the announcer voice says "Let the beat rock." It reminds me of early '90s Japanese techno.