Sunday, May 09, 2010

Music of 1990: April

Yikes. I'm a bit behind in getting this out, but I'm still dedicated to the 1990 project. I just had a really busy April.

United States

The biggest thing in music in April was Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2U," which hit #1 mid-month and stayed there for 4 weeks, the first of three singles that would spend as much time at #1 that year. I already wrote about the song specifically, so I'll move on.

Two other singles were #1 hits in April. The first was Taylor Dayne's "Love Will Lead You Back," a very radio friendly love ballad written by Diane Warren, one of the most prolific songwriters of the '90s (her lengthy hit catalog includes Celine Dion's "Because You Loved Me," Toni Braxton's "Un-Break My Heart," Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing," and Ace of Base's "Don't Turn Around"). This was Dayne's 6th top 10 hit and the only time she ever hit #1 on the Hot 100. I actually still quite like this song.



The other chart-topper was "I'll Be Your Everything" performed by teen heartthrob Tommy Page and written and produced by members of New Kids on the Block, whom Page toured with at the time. The song is typically treacly, and frankly, I was never a fan of it, although I did like Page's next single, "When I Dream of You."

More deserving of #1 in my opinion was Canadian singer Jane Child's "Don't Wanna Fall in Love" (it did top the pop airplay chart as it stalled at #2 on the Hot 100). The song has a fantastic, energetic production. Child didn't exactly look the part of a pop singer, more like a bad-girl punker, with her nose-ring and earring connected by a chain. Either do to that or lack of other good material (I considered her album for a 1990 album review, but after listening to it, I decided to pass, as it is not good), she was a one-hit wonder.

Lisa Stansfield, who'd scored big in Britain in 1989, took her soulful pop sound to the states in 1990, hitting #3 with "All Around the World." It was her only top 10 hit. Technotronic scored a second top 10 hit with "Get Up (Before the Night Is Over)." This time the actual featured rapper/vocalist Ya Kid K got her due, with full credit and even appearing in the video. Although it wasn't as big a hit as "Pump Up the Jam," it's a tough call to say which song is better. I often prefer the brighter, poppier sound of this single.



Finally, hairband rock continued its slow march to its demise, with both Kiss and Motley Crue scoring #8 hits with "Forever" and "Without You" respectively.

United Kingdom

Snap's "The Power" spent a second week at #1 during the first week of April, but Madonna's "Vogue" ruled the chart for most of the month, hitting #1 the week of April 14 and staying there for 4 weeks. I'll say more about "Vogue" later, as it is very near and dear to me.

Otherwise, April was actually rather unremarkable chart-wise in the UK. UB40 hit #4 with "Kingston Town," They Might Be Giants hit #6 with "Birdhouse in Your Soul," and Heart hit #8 with "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You," which would go on to be a big hit in the US later.

Perhaps the most interesting single was Happy Monday's "Step On," which hit #5 and was that band's biggest hit.

No comments: