Monday, May 24, 2010

Listening to this week...

Lots of great music out there these days.

California Gurls - Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg. "California Gurls'" instant success has been a real assault on the charts. It's still gaining well over 2000 spins her week at top 40 radio. At this rate it will be #1 within a few weeks.

Dirtee Disco - Dizzee Rascal. I imagine some of Dizzee Rascal's fans think he's sold out these days. But who cares when he's producing pop songs as great as this. He continues in his dance/rap vein, this time turning to '70s disco for a real stomping early summer song. The sample is from The Staple Sisters' "I'll Take You There."



All Night Long - Alexandra Burke feat. Pitbull. Now that the Pitbull version is out, I've been listening to that mostly and I've come to like it just as much (if not more) than the original.

Tell 'Em - Sleigh Bells. This band is the hot, hot, hot new thing. This is from their debut album Treats, which I'll probably review soon. Like every other hot band, they are based in Brooklyn. Such an original sound, like feedback-laced M.I.A. with a rockier edge.



Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever) - Muse. Muse turns out a big rockin' love ballad from the forthcoming Eclipse soundtrack. Ends with a nice classical flourish like a lot of their last album.

Sorrow - The National. This is one of my favorite tracks from The National's new album High Violet, which I reviewed over the weekend. Stunning, beautiful song. Here's a live version:



Commander - Kelly Rowland. After the success of "Work" and "When Love Takes Over," Kelly Rowland embraces her dance diva side for this new single from her forthcoming third album.

Poker Face - Glee Cast (feat. Idina Menzel). Lea Michele and Idina Menzel are really great on this reworked arrangement of Lady GaGa's biggest hit. Can't wait to see this in a couple of weeks.



On and On (UK Radio Edit) - Agnes. "On and On" gets a remix for its UK single release. Too bad this didn't manage to give sweet Agnes another hit there.

3 comments:

Chris B. said...

Wait, what? The title of the Katy Perry track contains "gurls" instead of "girls"? That's outrageous. I take back everything nice I've said about that song.

J.Mensah said...

Lovin' most of these. Especially the obvious standout out of the whole bunch.

You know, it's funny re-reading your review of Britney's Circus and how you said her appeal was limited compared to Christina Aguilera... and now look! #1 vs #23. Stan moment sorry.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Wow, I did say that. I was a bit harsh. I actually enjoyed most of the Circus single quite a bit, although I still maintain the album overall isn't the greatest. Christina's not produced much of significance lately though, so I probably wouldn't compare Britney unfavorably to Christina today.