Sunday, April 18, 2010

UK Singles Chart, April 24, 2010

1. OMG - Usher feat. Will.I.Am
2. This Ain't a Love Song - Scouting for Girls

It was a tight race for #1 this week, which ultimately saw Usher unseat Scouting for Girls to score his third UK #1. "This Ain't a Love Song" started the week at #1, but by midweek, it as clear that Usher had a strong chance of hitting the top spot. Usher's chart fortunes in the UK, as well as the US, have dropped a bit in recent years. While 8701 and Confessions each netted him four top 10 hits, including the latter generating his two previous UK #1s ("Yeah!" and "Burn"), his last album, Here I Stand, had only the one, "Love in This Club." The story in the US has been similar, with a successive string of pre-release promotion singles from Raymond v. Raymond failing to make much heat on the charts.

"OMG" turns this around rather spectacularly, taking Usher's pop/R&B sound in a new, more modern electro-dance direction. Credit collaborator Will.I.Am, one of pop music's hottest names at the moment. Besides the multiple hits with his band Black Eyed Peas--including three #1s last year--he's found success collaborating with a diverse range of artists, including Cheryl Cole, his bandmate Fergie, Rihanna and even U2.

3. I Need You Tonight - Professor Green feat. Ed Drewett

Yet another new British rapper makes a splash in the top 10. "I Need You Tonight" is the first single from Professor Green's second album, although this is his first top 40 hit. The song heavily samples INXS's "Need You Tonight," which hit #2 in 1988, becoming the Australian band's biggest hit in Britain.

5. Acapella - Kelis

Kelis nabs her 6th UK top 10 hit this week wtih "Acapella," the first single from her fifth album, Flesh Tone. "Acapella" is a pulsing electronic dance-pop track, a new direction from the R&B singer best known for 2003 hit "Milkshake."

7. Naturally - Selena Gomez & the Scene

Disney starlet Selena Gomez, best known for her role on Wizards of Waverly Place, steps confidently into the music scene with dance pop single "Naturally," debuting at #7. I believe this is the first of the current wave of Disney acts to score a top 10 hit in Britain. Miley Cyrus has come close three times, peaking at #11 with "See You Again," "The Cimb" and "Party in the USA." Jonas Brothers hit #13 with "SOS," and Demi Lovato has had a couple of singles peak in the 30s.

12. Dirty Picture - Taio Cruz feat. Ke$ha

Taio Cruz and Ke$ha climb 28 spots to #12 with "Dirty Picture." I'm surprised this isn't in the top 10, although it charts far better than Cruz's last single, "No Other One," which missed the top 40, making a major disappointment of a follow-up from his #1 hit "Break Your Heart." This is Ke$ha's fourth top 40 hit and her second featured appearance after Flo Rida's #1 hit from last year, "Right Round."

15. Do Wah Doo - Kate Nash

Kate Nash, who scored a major #2 hit in 2007 with "Foundations," returns with the first single from her second album. I'm not surprised to see this outside the top 10, as I personally was not very excited about this song.

36. Set the Fire to the Third Bar - Snow Patrol

Snow Patrol's 2006 single makes a return to the top 40. Apparently it's because it's featured in the Miley Cyrus movie Dear John. Too bad Miley can't get her own single from the movie in the top 40.

5 comments:

J.Mensah said...

f?ck yeahh for Usher, it's such an awesome song--sad i cant say the same for the album, speaking of albums, would you ever consider doing an albums chart along with your singles one?

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Interesting idea. I think it would be hard to do. It's easy to listen to lots of songs--either on the radio or ones you buy. But being authoritative about current albums is a lot harder. On my chart, I only put on songs that I know, so if I did the same thing for albums, I think it would seem really repetitive, since I don't buy new albums nearly as frequently as new singles.

John said...

I resisted OMG, but resistance is completely futile. And I'm loving Naturally more and more.

Myfizzypop said...

it's further down the chart that's a bit more interesting as well - Alexandra is climbing ever so slowly with her part Glee rip off part Paparazzi tribute All night long and lovely marina (oh. my. god, she looks like Shakira) has cracked the top 75 already with next single I Am Not A Robot. Hurrah.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I'm really into OMG now. In fact, I can't remember ever liking an Usher single so much. I really love All Night Long. I hope it becomes a bigger hit than Broken Heels was. I'm not sure I like the single remix better than the original though.