Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Album Review: Glee Cast - The Power of Madonna (4/5)

I hope everyone else is as excited as I am about the special Madonna-themed episode of Glee tonight. If the EP, released today, is anything to go by, it's going to live up to my (rather inflated) expectations. Two things I love coming together could be dangerous, but the combination of Glee and Madonna is a smashing success. Many of the songs adhere close to their original arrangements, like the note-for-note remake of "Vogue," which features Jane Lynch's first Glee vocal performance and twists a few key lines to give Sue Sylvester ownership ("Will Schuester, I hate you"). "Express Yourself" also sounds exactly like the remix single version (the one on Celebration), with the Glee kids filling the song with their particular brand of joy. Even better is "Like a Virgin," which sounds really great in this arrangement that gives Lea Michele (Rachel) duet duty during the verses with her new love interest/rival Jonathan Groff (at least I think that's him, hard to tell whether it's him or Finn) and brings in the full group for the choruses. Michele and Cory Monteith (Finn) really shine though on the duet/mash-up of "Borderline" and "Open Your Heart," which, at present, is probably my favorite track here. Including "What It Feels Like for a Girl," a much lesser-known song than the others here, was a gutsy choice. I'm very curious how this will play out in the show, as its performed by all the guys. "Like a Prayer" is, of course, a great song, although I can't help but think that this version falls a bit short, although the song reaches such epic heights in its original form, it would be hard to surpass it. "4 Minutes" is fine, but not a standout on the album. However, again, my opinion of any of these could change after watching the show.

Best: Borderline/Open Your Heart, Like a Virgin, Vogue, Express Yourself, Like a Prayer, What It Feels Like for a Girl

2 comments:

rcLoy said...

wwadh! Me! Me! Me!! I just watched it :D

I think I'm a Madonna fan after watching that episode, most of her songs are great. I am lovin' Kurt's vocal in 4 Minutes, that boy! Love their version!
I'm surprised that I like Express Yourself and What It Feels Like For A Girl. Gosh, ain't this the bang you needed to boost back your rating for a show that's already been buzzin'~
Now I can't wait for the GaGa rendition! :D

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Yes, I see they are doing 2 Lady GaGa songs this season. Fun!