Thursday, March 25, 2010

Album Review: Goldfrapp - Head First (4/5)

As a synth-pop group, the '80s have always been a reference point for Goldfrapp, but on Head First, they deliver a literal reading of that decade's now ubiquitous sound. This album's '80s influence is definitely early '80s; in fact, I think I can peg most of it specifically to 1983, the year of the Flashdance soundtrack, the Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams and Madonna's debut.

It's a welcome shift from the underwhelming synth-folk of their last album, Seventh Tree, which delivered a few good songs but didn't live up to the bar set by their amazing second and third albums, Black Cherry and Supernature. However, that Head First is so clearly derivative also handicaps it a bit. While their best albums were original syntheses of pop, dance and electro, lots of acts these days are making '80s-clone albums (like last year's phenomenal debut from La Roux). Thus Head First finds Goldfrapp joining the pack, rather than leading it.

Yet there's plenty to enjoy here, and it's nice to welcome Alison and Will back to the dance floor. The album opens with a trio of winning dance pop songs: "Rocket" is the shimmery first single, while "Believer," with its killer chorus, is even better. "Alive" sounds like its got an even earlier influence--disco. The album sags a bit with its slower, darker songs, like "Dreaming" and "Hunt," but picks up again with synth-heavy "Head First" and undeniably great "I Wanna Life."

Also harking back to the early '80s is the album's length. It's just nine songs, which was much more common back then. I have no problem with that. I like a short, tight album that delivers the best rather than giving us too much filler. Head First isn't all wonderful, but there's quite a bit to like.

Best: Believer, I Wanna Life, Rocket, Head First, Alive

2 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

loving this and didn't think I would so that's rather brilliant indeed - makes it sound even better :) Feeling the same about the Gabriella Cilmi album :)

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I've been into them for awhile. While I like it, I was actually hoping it would be a bit better. I was listening to Black Cherry and Supernature earlier today, which are clearly superior. I hadn't heard Cilmi's new album yet except "On a Mission," which is okay. I'm listening to a sampler on MySpace right now. Not bad.