Thursday, January 15, 2009

Goodbye London Astoria

NME reported that the London Astoria, an old theatre turned nightclub venue in the London neighborhood of Soho, had it final performance evening last night. The old building is being demolished to make way for a new rail project.

London Astoria is best known to me as the former host of gay dance party G.A.Y. I went several times when I was a student in London in 1998. It was there I danced with a gay Member of Parliament. I saw the Weather Girls perform "It's Raining Men." I refused to drink the ₤2 Budweiser drink special (I don't drink Bud in the US--why would I drink it abroad?). Other memories I won't reprint...In short, it was a fun place and I'm a little sad to hear it will no longer be.

2 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

bwahahaha i want to hear the stories you won't print here :P Those are the salacious ones :)

Cook In / Dine Out said...

You're right of course. I'm sure you have your own stories too.