Monday, October 09, 2006

UK Chart Analysis, 10/14/2006

1. America - Razorlight

Here's a surprise #1! Razorlight emerged in 2004 with their debut album Up All Night, whose fourth single "Golden Touch" hit #9, giving the band mainstream exposure. A year later, the album was re-released with new track "Somewhere Else," which hit #2 and was a big airplay hit. This year they released their second eponymously titled album Razorlight, which landed this summer with #3 hit "In the Morning." Although labelled an "indie" band in '04, the new album of solid pop/rock songs clearly marked the band's interest in generating broader mainstream appeal. And now they have their first #1. "America" is a traditional rock ballad told from the perspective of a Brit observing the "panic in America" during his life. Razorlight knocks 4-week running Scissor Sisters' "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" from #1 (who, however, spend a 9th week atop the airplay chart this week, becoming the longest-running #1 single of the year on that chart). Well done. Interesting that a song named "America" by a British artist leads a UK top 10 that features no less than 6 American acts this week.

3. Jump in My Car - David Hasselhoff

This makes me want to vommit. American actor David Hasselhoff (Knight Rider, Baywatch) is widely known to have a European pop music career that has thankfully NEVER graced the shores of his homeland. And, it should be known, that this aberration has barely graced the shores of Britain too (he hit #35 in 1993 with "If I Could Say Goodbye"). So why, oh why, is he sitting at #3 on the UK singles chart this week? I just listened to this song on MySpace...it's TERRIBLE. This is shameful. Shame shame shame. Brits everywhere are hanging their head for this one.

4. Come to Me - P Diddy Featuring Nicole Scherzinger

P Diddy returns to the UK chart with his 5th official top 10 hit. I say official because he's guest starred on more tracks by other artists than I care to count tonight. His best moment in Britain (as well as the US) remains his 1997 #1 hit "I'll Be Missing You," the ode to The Notorious BIG that effectively sampled The Police's "Every Breath You Take." "Come to Me" is certainly no "I'll Be Missing You," but it's not bad. Still, I feel like he needs to do better than this to remain hip-hop royalty.

5. Rock This Party (Everybody Dance Now) - Bob Sinclar & Cutee B

French DJ Bob Sinclar scores his second top 10 hit this week, with an unspired remake of the C&C Music Factory's 1991 hit "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)." It tops the #9 peak of his summer single, "World Hold On," to become his biggest hit (of 2 so far).

23. Welcome to the Black Parae - My Chemical Romance

My Chemical Romance make a big downloads-only slash at #23 this week, setting them up for their first top 10 hit next week. I was very close to this band once. I'll tell the story next week.

24. When the Night Feels My Song - Bedouin Soundclash

This charted at #33 last week on downloads, and I thought for sure it would go top 10, maybe even challenge for #1. Guess I was wrong. Good thing, as I didn't like it much.

32. Sophia - Nerina Pallot

Nerina Pallot scores her second top 40 hit this week, but at a lowly #32. Such as shame for such a pretty song.

No comments: