Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Gwen + Keane = ?

Robin alerted me to the fact that Gwen Stefani is collaborating with Keane's Tim Rice-Oxley for her upcoming second solo album, The Sweet Escape, due December 4. Read it about in NME.

Interesting match-up. Gwen's electro pop of Love.Angel.Music.Baby doesn't on its face mesh well with Keane's melodic pop approach, particularly since her biggest hit was the all-beats-all-the-time "Hollaback Girl." Still, I always preferred her songs like "Cool" and "Serious," which sounded more like something Kylie would've done in the late '80s. Tim's a master songwriter, so I'm sure it will be good.

I heard the album's first single, "Wind It Up," on Radio 1 today. Interesting and weird. I need to hear it more before I can form a definite opinion. Listen to it here.

No comments: