Saturday, October 28, 2006

Emma's Children in Need single


Emma Bunton has recorded this year's Children in Need single, a chartity record to accompany the BBC's annual fundraising appeal for disadvantaged British children. The single, "Downtown," out November 13, is a remake of the '60s classic by Petula Clark. It fits nicely with Emma's last album of '60s-inspired pop songs, Free Me.

Children in Need singles tend to chart rather well too, which could mean a return to #1 for Emma. Last year's Children in Need single was "A Night to Remember," by Liberty X, which hit #6. Other recent ones include Girls Aloud's "I'll Stand By You" (#1, 2004), TV star Shane Richie's "I'm Your Man" (#2, 2003), Will Young's "You and I"/"Don't Let Me Down" (#2, 2002), S Club 7's "Have You Ever" (#1, 2001) and "Never Had a Dream Come True" (#1, 2000), and the various artists' "Perfect Day" (#1, 1997).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the first pop albums I ever owned -- and we're talking vinyl here -- was a compilation that featured Dolly Parton's version of "Downtown." My mom bought it for me at a yard sale. I wish I could remember why.