Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson, 1958 - 2009

It's almost unbelievable that the biggest pop star of my lifetime has just died. While his star has certainly faded in recent years--damaged by financial, legal and other troubles--at a time he was on top of the world. Particularly during the '80s, where his Thriller album became the decade's defining pop masterpiece. When I started listening to pop music in 1987, Jackson was just beginning his string of #1 hits from Bad--"I Just Can't Stop Loving You," "Bad," "The Way You Make Me Feel," "Man in the Mirror," and "Dirty Diana." His 1991 New Jack Swing album Dangerous gave him a major #1 hit in "Black or White" and a fantastic video for "Remember the Time." 1995's History was his last set nominated for the Grammy Album of the Year, an award he won for Thriller, and was also nominated for with Bad. Sadly, his last album, 2001's Invincible was unremarkable, but prior to that he left a legacy of quality pop music that stretched back to his Jackson 5 Motown days. Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, dead at 50.

3 comments:

J.Mensah said...

:( I can't even know what to say; so unexpected. I think I've cried enough for tonight.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I've been listening to MJ nonstop. I finally bought the Off the Wall album too. So many great hit singles.

Chris B. said...

I discovered Michael Jackson in late ’83, around the time my family moved to a new town. I was shy, but I managed to bond with my new fourth-grade classmates over our mutual love of Michael. I remember trading MJ stickers with them and debating whether to wear to school the glittery glove my mom’s friend gave me. (Ultimately I chose not to. I wanted their approval, not their envy). I also remember the day word reached our class that Michael had been burned during the production of a Pepsi TV commercial. The news reports indicated it wasn’t serious, but I still worried. So many other memories: staying up past my bedtime to watch him on the Grammys and the AMAs; watching his videos at the home of my older sister, the only person I knew with MTV; longing for one of the MJ dolls on display in the window of the local toy store. Then there were the butterflies Michael used to give me. I didn’t fully understand what it meant to be gay, but I knew I should keep this part of my idolization of him secret. If only my parents knew how I gazed dreamily at those MJ posters plastered on my bedroom walls – especially the one that showed him wearing the brown leather jacket, one thumb tucked in his jeans pocket, a perfectly placed curl resting on his forehead. This is how I want to remember Michael: as he was during the “Thriller” era – the way he looked, the way he sounded, and most of all, the way he made me feel.