Saturday, June 06, 2009

Album review: Little Boots - Hands (4.5/5)

Hands is the debut pop album I've been waiting for, and it doesn't disappoint. Little Boots has generated much buzz this year. When I first heard about her in January, what I saw and heard was promising, but frankly a bit suspect. Sure "Stuck on Repeat" was a killer song, but "Little Boots" is an odd name for a singer, and her onstage act, which consisted of her singing while manipulating a Japanese music gizmo, was a bit suspect.

In a move sure to divide her early fans, Hands is a confident step toward mainstream acceptance. While Little Boots wrote or co-wrote every song here, she enlisted some pretty A-list pop producers, namely Greg Kurstin and Richard Stannard, both of whom have worked with Kylie (as well as Lily Allen and Will Young respectively). Songs that first appeared as long dance cues have been edited to radio-friendly lengths, such as "Stuck on Repeat," which frankly, I always preferred in its tight 4-minute form. "Meddle," the other early-release track in here too, along with a tight set of appealing electro-pop that shoots to boost Little Boots as a Kylie-styled sophisticate rather than a Lady GaGa-esque tramp.

The album opens strong with stomping first single "New in Town," followed by melodic "Earthquake." Then there's my favorite, the mesmerizing "Stuck on Repeat," awash in heady synth chords and a sharp dance beat. Slick "Click" opens with a throbbing bass line before transitioning to a very Kylie-like sexy synth number. "Remedy" is the closest she comes to sounding like Lady GaGa--energetic, electro dance pop with a distorted synth melody and meaningless lyrics about the dance floor. No surprise it's produced by RedOne, who helmed all of GaGa's recent hits.

For all the pop sheen, Little Boots hasn't completely shed her eccentric side. Quirky "Meddle" courses along with clangy beats and synth bleeps. I wasn't so keen on this track months ago, but it's grown on me. "Ghosts" is even stranger, and probably the only track that hasn't won me over yet. "Mathematics," one of the more '80s-styled tracks, cleverly runs through a series of arithmetic metaphors for relationships. It achieves more witty one-liners than it does a coherent idea ("your X is equal to my Y, but equations pass me by"), but is fun nonetheless.

"Symmetry," the highlight of the album's weaker second half, is an '80s-styped synth pop song featuring the guy from the Human League. "Tune into My Heart," however, is one of the album's weakest tracks--it definitely sounds like Kylie filler. "Hearts Collide" is a little better for its darker sound, but still doesn't live up to the quality of the earlier tracks. "No Brakes" is better, with a good electronic bassline and an overall mood of uplift to finish the album.

In short, Hands is the best pop debut so far this year, if not the best pop album. While not perfect, it's a very good start--upbeat, melodic, '80s-inspired but still modern, mainstream but not cookie-cutter--there's little not to like.

Best: Stuck on Repeat, New in Town, Remedy, Symmetry, Click, Earthquake, Meddle

9 comments:

J.Mensah said...

Little Boots has been receiving masses of promo here. While I'm completely won over by your review, I probably won't check out her music for awhile :( I've been listening to Kelly Clarkson's My December all week and I'll continue to do so, picking the weeds and keeping my flowers :)

Ken said...

Ahh. You caught me with this review. I'm so lazy to sum up one so I'm gonna give it a try next week instead. I love "NIT" unreservedly. I think the best track would have to be "Symmetry". I just loved the collaboration. Cheers.


Re: J. Mensah
please do check out her music. You're lucky enough to be living in the UK to be buying her music which is a privilege I think. I can't buy her album because it's not on sale here. I think I'm ordering it on Amazon UK instead. Hopefully it comes early.

Myfizzypop said...

Brilliant review. It's the most instantly satisfying yet intensely rewarding album i've heard in a long time. Absolutely love it. She really bought it. Amazing.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Thanks for the all compliments. My expectations for this album were really high, as it was probably the release I was anticipating the most so far this year. I'm glad it didn't let me down.

Matt said...

Hmm, i'm intrigued. This is a fantastic review, and while I don't normally like this kind of stuff, i've heard praise for it all over the place. Could be one of those dark horse albums this year.

That being said, i've got a lot of albums on my plate, so not sure if i'll give this a try anytime soon. Just recently I got Queens Of The Stone Age's self-titled to absorb, then the Spinnerette debut coming out soon, and then I have a list of album to get over the next little while, then new Muse, and possibly new Weezer. So yeah, lots of stuff.

Anyway, good review, i'll give this a try sometime.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

You can listen to the whole thing for free on MySpace--then you can decide if you want to own it.

Matt said...

Oh yeah, forgot about MySpace. I'll give it a try then.

John said...

I said to Will this morning that I haven't had a record hit me as instantly as this one since the Saturdays debut. "Remedy" has me grooving at my desk. I honestly think there's a shot in the U.S. "New In Town" could easily fly at Hot AC if given the chance.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Maybe. I see she released an EP on iTunes this morning (including "New in Town").