Thursday, May 21, 2009

New Mariah Carey and Usher albums on the way

Billboard is reporting that both Mariah Carey and Usher have new albums planned for fall, both of which announced their titles today (Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel and Monster respectively). This is an interesting choice for both artists, who seem to be on parallel tracks these days. Both released albums last spring (E=MC2 and Here I Stand) that both had one big hit ("Touch My Body" and "Love in This Club") and failed to generate any significantly popular follow-up singles. Both albums were years in the making following massive hit albums (The Emancipation of Mimi and Confessions) that were both Grammy Album of the Year nominees (and Grammy Contemporary R&B Album winners) that scored multiple #1 hits ("We Belong Together" and "Don't Forget About Us" for her; "Yeah!," "Burn," "Confessions," and "My Boo" for him--with the last #1 hit in both cases being available only on subsequent special edition re-releases) as well as Grammy Record of the Year nominees ("We Belong Together" and "Yeah!").

Clearly they need to record a duet.

2 comments:

J.Mensah said...

WOOW!!! I loved reading that, I didn't realize they were so similar

Cook In / Dine Out said...

It was fun writing it. As I started, more and more similarities occurred to me.