Sunday, February 08, 2009

Grammy Predictions

The Grammy Awards will be given out tonight. Despite the fact that I'm a major fan of pop music, I'm more interested in who gets nominated for the Grammys than who actually wins them (or watching the show for that matter, which I rarely do). Still, it's worth looking at a few categories to see how things are shaping up this year...

Album of the Year
  • Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
  • Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
  • Ne-Yo - Year of the Gentleman
  • Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
  • Radiohead - In Rainbows
My instinct was to say that Coldplay is the frontrunner, and certainly enough pundits seem to agree; however, I can't help but notice how often the old favorite has beat the popular favorite recently, so I wouldn't rule out a win by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss. In fact, if I were to place a bet, I'd give them the upper hand. If Herbie Hancock can beat Kanye and Amy, U2 can beat Kanye, Ray Charles can beat Kanye (poor Kanye West), then I think Rob & Allie can pull this one out too. Will win: Robert Plant & Alison Krauss; My pick: Radiohead

Record of the Year
  • Adele - Chasing Pavements
  • Coldplay - Viva la Vida
  • Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
  • M.I.A. - Paper Planes
  • Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Please Read the Letter
With the record of the year, unlike the album award, the more contemporary artist seems to stand a better chance. Recent winners include Amy Winehouse, Green Day, and Outkast, and Coldplay's been here before (for "Clocks"), so I expect they will walk away with it a second time for "Viva la Vida." Will win: Coldplay; My pick: Coldplay

New Artist
  • Adele
  • Duffy
  • Jonas Brothers
  • Lady Antebellum
  • Jazmine Sullivan
As new artist lists go, this year's isn't that spectacular. I think Adele definitely has the upper hand at this point, riding her wave of buzz that seems to hinge on her SNL appearance from months ago. If that's enough to justify a Grammy, I'm a bit disappointed, although I do like Adele, but she's not taken off in the U.S. Neither has Duffy, who I love. Jonas Brothers are too teen pop to win this. I wouldn't count out Jazmine Sullivan completely, as she good be a dark horse contender. Will win: Adele; My pick: Duffy

Female Pop Vocal
  • Adele - Chasing Pavements
  • Sara Bareilles - Love Song
  • Duffy - Mercy
  • Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
  • Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl
  • Pink - So What
Adele and Leona Lewis are nominated in the Record of the Year category, so I'd say they have the upper hand. And I'd throw Pink in the mix as a strong contender. Will win: Adele; My pick: Duffy

Male Pop Vocal
  • Kid Rock - All Summer Long
  • John Mayer - Say
  • Paul McCartney - That Was Me
  • Jason Mraz - I'm Yours
  • Ne-Yo - Closer
  • James Taylor - Wichita Lineman
John Mayer's won this award three times already this decade, so I'm hoping Grammy decides it's someone else's turn. I could see this going to Jason Mraz. Will win: Jazon Mraz; My pick: Ne-Yo

Pop Duo or Group with Vocals
  • Coldplay - Viva la Vida
  • Eagles - Waiting in the Weeds
  • Gnarls Barkley - Going On
  • Maroon 5 - Won't Go Home Without You
  • OneRepublic - Apologize
No contest: Coldplay. Will win: Coldplay; My pick: Coldplay

Pop Collaboration
  • Alicia Keys & John Mayer - Lessons Learned
  • Madonna & Justin Timberlake - 4 Minutes
  • Maroon5 & Rihanna - If I Never See Your Face Again
  • Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Rich Woman
  • Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown - No Air
My gut says that Plant & Krauss are the frontrunner; however, they won this last year for another track from their album. Will Grammy give it to them 2 years in a row? I'm going to say yes for me. Will win: Plant & Krauss; My pick: Sparks & Brown

Pop Album
  • Duffy - Rockferry
  • The Eagles - Long Road Out Of Eden
  • Leona Lewis - Spirit
  • Sheryl Crow - Detours
  • James Taylor - Covers
None of these made it into the Album of the Year list, so no help there. There was a lot of buzz for The Eagles though, so I bet they'll get it. Will win: The Eagles; My pick: Duffy.

4 comments:

John said...

Seems like we're pretty well in line here. I'd love to see Ne-Yo win for Best Pop Vocal, but I think you've called it.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Thanks. I think maybe I'll watch this year.

Anonymous said...

I think that Coldplay has a very good chance of winning album of the year. It's soft enough that almost anyone can appreciate it, and it's a big hit so the Grammy voters can feel "hip". Aside from that, it's a great album, and the only one that i've heard from the list.

Aside from that, I could see Duffy winning over Adele, but we'll have to see there.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

I would normally agree with you about Coldplay; however, it Grammy wanted to feel hip, wouldn't they have honored Kanye West or Amy Winehouse last year instead of Herbie Hancock? I think Album of the Year has become almost an honorary award now. The question is whether Coldplay's 8 years in the limelight is enough that they've crossed from "hip" to "established." It will be a good test.