Saturday, February 21, 2009

Best of 2000s: Kylie Minogue - Fever (5/5)

Fever is, in short, the best dance pop album ever recorded. I absolutely love it for so many reasons, perhaps most of all because it strikes the perfect balance for what dance pop should be. Where her previous album, Light Years was cheeky, and over-the-top, Fever checks the camp just enough to be more direct but doesn't make the mistake of taking itself too seriously. The songs pulsate with energy and fun, with a less retro production than Light Years and a tempo that's never broken by a ballad (there are none). The songs that work best are the simplest: The Daft Punk-inspired "Love at First Sight," the stripped down "Can't Get You Out of My Head," and keyboard-throbbing "Come Into My World." But everything works here, from the electro-pop of "Fever" to the '90s sounding "Dancefloor," and disco stomp of "Burning Up." An underrated track that I love: "Your Love," which has an infectious dance beat underscored by acoustic guitar and keyboards.

Best: Can't Get You Out of My Head, Love at First Sight, Come Into My World, In Your Eyes, Your Love, More More More, Burning Up, Fever

No comments: