Saturday, June 30, 2007

Best Albums of the Nineties

My friend Robin is doing a series on the best albums of the '90s, posting chunks on her blog. She's counting down, having done 100 through 71 so far. Her rule of thumb: select only 1 album from an artist from the decade. So, for example, if she includes Radiohead's "OK Computer," then she wouldn't also include "The Bends" (which will she choose?!).

Here's my "for your consideration" appeal:

Sinead O' Connor - I Do Not Want What You Haven't Got. Famous for "Nothing Compares 2U," but the whole album is really strong. A personal favorite.

Jai - Heaven. Not many people heard this, but it was really good--soulful, sexy, retro. I'm disappointed he never made another album.

Robbie Williams - Life Thru a Lens. His career's been on a downward trajectory of late, but his first album was a true breakthrough. Following a much-publicized post-Take That binge, he managed to pull himself together and deliver a great first album, including classic "Angels" but also "Lazy Days" and "Let Me Entertain You."

Annie Lennox - Diva. Gorgeous, classy pop music. Love "Why" and "Little Bird."

George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice. He really went out on a limb changing his sound from the poppy Faith to this more soulful, reflective set.

Pet Shop Boys - Very. Their best album, pure dance pop, and very gay, despite the fact that Neil Tennant wasn't officially "out" yet.

Everything But the Girl - Walking Wounded. They changed their sound following "Missing," and this was a great blend of electronic and adult pop styles.

Sade - Love Deluxe. Sultry and sublime, perfect on a lazy hot summer afternoon.

Janet Jackson - Janet. Back in the '90s, Janet Jackson was still making good pop music. And while it's a close call between this energetic dance pop set and the more experimental Velvet Rope, I have to go with this, simply because "If" is the best song she ever did.

Whitney Houston - My Love Is Your Love. After 7 years of doing soundtrack ballads, Whitney returned for what was sadly her last good album, a funky modern R&B mix.

Maybe I should make my own list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should totally do your own list!

Lots of that stuff I never really listened to, so it would be weird to make a late addition. Although, I think I messed up the numbering so I may have some slots left.

Sinead--- good call.

Jai- not my cup of tea.

Robbie- I would put this on there for "Angels" alone, but his other stuff never really grabbed me. But maybe when I do my "best looking artists of the 90s list" he'll make it.

Annie Lennox-good call. I just felt like I liked some of her singles, but as a whole album it didn't do it for me.

Pet Shop BOys- you are so right! Maybe I should shuffle things around.

Sade- barf.

Janet- I considered it.

Whitney- It is hard for me to really like pop/R&B.