Saturday, June 02, 2007

Album Review: Dixie Chicks - Taking the Long Way (5/5)


I wasn't a Dixie Chicks fan until this year. Not because of their politics, but just because I'm generally not a country music fan. But their story intrigued me: the biggest-selling band in country music rejected by that industry because of an off-the-cuff political comment. Certainly many musicians of late have thrown their hat into the political ring. Pink, Pet Shop Boys, John Mayer, Green Day and others have all riled against the war, the president, the general state of things. But the Dixie Chicks dared to do it when the war was fresh and Bush's approval rating was high, drawing the vicious ire of their mostly conservative fanbase and Nashville in general.


Taking the Long Way debuted at #1, but hasn't sold nearly in the numbers of their last three albums (it's merely double platinum, while Wide Open Spaces and Fly are both diamond--10x--platinum), and hasn't generated any country music hits. An amazing thing happened though at the Grammy Awards this year. While Nashville may have turned its back, the broader music industry was paying more attention than ever, and awarded the group with all of the year's top honors: Album of the Year as well as Record and Song of the Year for "Not Ready to Make Nice." So I bought the album, and I haven't been disappointed.


First track "The Long Way Around" is an absolutely gorgeous song. I cannot say enough good things about it. It has an upbeat melody, great rhythm, and awesome lyrics. I'm not usually a lyrics man, but the Dixie Chicks are great songwriters lyrically as well as musically, telling interesting stories and turning provocative phrases ("I hit the highway in a pink RV with stars on the ceiling. Lived like a gypsy; six strong hands on the steering wheel"). The production is pretty rich: guitar, banjo, strings, and bass are all in the mix, but rather than competing they blend well, while the Chicks' vocals soar over the top.


As good as "The Long Way Around" is--and it is very very good--"Not Ready to Make Nice" is even better. This is the one. It's the band's reaction to all the negative press and rejection from country music they faced after lead singer Natalie Maines made an anti-Bush comment during a London concert. No back peddling here though. The band is united, defiant, and moving on. The dark song peaks during the middle section, which grows with intensity with each word: "made my bed and I sleep like a baby with no regrets and I don't mind saying it's a sad sad story when a mother will teach her daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger. And how in the world can the words that I said send somebody so over the edge that they'd write me a letter saying that I better shut up and sing or my life will be over." Then this is followed by a powerful burst of strings--the music pushing through the hatred. It's so lovely and perfect and still gives me chills, even though I've heard it 28 times (according to iTunes).


With highlights like that you hardly need anything more, yet this album continues to deliver. "Easy Silence" is a lovely piano and acoustic guitar ballad with a middle strings section. "Everybody Knows" is more traditionally country sounding and is good too. "Bitter End" is a kiss off to the departed country fans ("farewell to old friends..."). The song's ending is a double entendre--leaving the door open, but also saying we can go on without you thank you very much ("We'll still be here when you come 'round again").


"Lullaby" is the album's quietest moment, the three mothers taking a break to sing about their children. I didn't like this song at first--it is very slow--but it grew on me with time after its tenderness and lovely strings section won me over. It's a nice contrast to the harder moments, spanning the emotional range of the album.


Rollicking "Lubbock or Leave It" takes Maines back to her Texas home town, which she is clearly glad to have left ("...this is the only place where, as you're getting' on the plane, you see Buddy Holly's face. I hear they hate me now just like they hated you. Maybe when I'm dead and gone I'm gonna get a statue too"). She describes it as "Dust bowl, Bible belt, Got more churches than trees."


Other highlights include "Voice Inside My Head," a collaboration with Linda Perry about accepting life's tough choices. "Silent House," which features Neil Finn of Crowded House, addresses Alzheimer's, and maintains the rock/country mix that dominates the album. "I Hope," the last track, has a Norah Jones vibe about it.


The recurrent blend of guitar, bass, banjo, and strings is really winning rich production upon which the Dixie Chicks weave their lovely harmonies and tell their amazing stories. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this album, which only gets better with successive listens.


Best: Not Ready to Make Nice, The Long Way Around, Easy Silence, Everybody Knows, Bitter End, Voice Inside My Head, Lullaby, Lubbock or Leave It, Silent House, I Hope

No comments: