Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Singles Roundup

Grace Kelly - Mika (5/5). The year's first great pop song comes courtesy of a newcomer to the music scene, a British-based, Lebanon-born, ambiguously sexual, 23 year-old singer Mika. There's enough attitude, hook, and pure joy oozing through this song to fill an entire album. It's got piano, loud electric guitar, and a vocal delivery like Jake Shears on...well, something really strong. To say it will be one of the year's biggest hits is an understatement. Nobody gets a better launch than this.

This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race (4.5/5) I haven't been a Fall Out Boy fan, until now. "This Ain't a Scene..." is a great song about who knows what but who cares. The title alone makes a great hook when combined with an emphatic swear. Well done.

The Prayer - Bloc Party (4/5). A new album gives me the chance I need to finally get into Bloc Party, which I've been told I'd like, but I just haven't given them a chance yet. Hectic "The Prayer" sounds like a more indie version of The Killers, with its keyboard-backed chorus and dramatic lyrical delivery. I like the chorus, but I find the verses not very interesting musically, although I like the vaguely clubby sound. Not bad, I'm definitely interested in hearing more.

No comments: