Thursday, January 11, 2007

Singles Roundup

So the year is off to a good start, particularly for dance singles so far. Here's a look at some of this week's big releases, plus a few over the last few weeks:

"This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way)" - DJ Shadow (4.5/5). This is absolutely fantastic. Sounds retro, soulful, with strings, good guitar solo, and a great vocal. Reminds me of '90s group M People's remake of "Here's Where the Story Ends." Apparently this a big departure for DJ Shadow (not someone I've listened to before)

"Raoul" - The Automatic (4/5). This band came to prominence last summer with "Monster," but I really like their new single "Raoul" even better. They remind of a group that has a male and a female lead, I can't quite think of who it is.

"Boogie 2Nite" - Booty Luv (4/5). Superior club track riding the current '80s revival wave. Interestingly, it's a remake of a song from R&B singer Amerie. Really lends itself to a dance song much better I think.

"Proper Education" - Eric Prydz vs. Pink Floyd (4/5). Another great dance track. Sure the vocal looping this is getting old, but Eric Prydz does it best. Great bass line, and the arrangement works well with "Another Brick in the Wall."

"PATT (Party All The Time)" - Sharam (4/5). Another great dance track that's yet another vocal-loop remake of an '80s hit in the updated '80s style. This was, interestingly, originally by Eddie Murphy, and I believe this track retains his original vocal.

"Learning To Breathe" - Nerina Pallot (4/5). Nerina Pallot is three for three in my book, following "Everybody's Gone to War" and "Sophia" with another great single. Why chart success eludes her, I have no idea. This song kind of reminds me of Liz Phair's mainstream stuff. Great hook. It has that WB quality to it too--like if Dawson's Creek was still around, this would play at some point. That's not a slam by the way, I was a DC devotee.

"You Know I'm No Good" - Amy Winehouse feat Ghostface Killah (3.5/5). "Rehab" got on my nerves, but this is actually not bad. Great beat and cool arrangement. I could do with a little more Amy and a little less Ghostface, but hey, it appears on his album, so he's got to have some facetime.

"Window on the Skies" - U2 (3.5/5). A good, but not great U2 single. Probably better than The Saints Are Coming, but not destined to be a classic. This is the other new track from their recent hits collection. I like the string section during the chorus and the sing-along quality of the song.

"Rain Down Love" - Freemasons Featuring Siedah Garrett (3.5/5). Remember Siedah Garrett? She did that 1987 duet with Michael Jackson, "I Just Can't Stop Loving You," where you couldn't tell which one was singing. She also was the power singer in Madonna's "Like a Prayer" choir. Nice to see she's still around, doing duty on a pretty good dance track. At least you're getting a full, non-looped vocal here. Still not as good as Freemasons' "Love on My Mind," but better than "Watchin'."

"Lithium" - Evanescence (2.5/5). Second single from Evanescence's latest album goes for the epic rock ballad sound. I like the piano and strings, but I find whole thing a little trying. Too much.

"Feel Together" - Ben Macklin feat Tiger Lily - Feel Together (2/5). Subparr dance single. Definitely pales to all the other great ones out right now. Dull and too repetitive.

Songs on the release horizon I'm really into right now: A Bad Dream - Keane, Grace Kelly - Mika, Perfect (Exciter) - Masons vs. Princess Superstar, Starz in Their Eyes - Just Jack, I Luv U - Ordinary Boys, Golden Skans - Klaxons, All I Need to Know - Emma Bunton.

1 comment:

xolondon said...

If you don't know Siedah's work with Brand New Heavies, I urge you to get it! Best songs: You Are The Universe, Sometimes and Day By Day.

I can send you some if you want them!