Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Singles Serving

All of the Lights - Kanye West feat. Rihanna. Many more artist are featured on this track, but Rihanna's typically robotic vocal is the most prominent. With horns reminiscent of the Rocky theme and a propulsive rhythm section, it's one of the standout tracks from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Although the album continues to fail to produce a hit on par with "Gold Digger" or "Stronger," it's not the kind of album that really offers up pop hits--it's too deep for that. This is as close as he'll probably come to getting a big single from it.

Look at Me Now - Chris Brown feat. Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes. I know I kind of made fun of this song last week by making it my April Fool's #1. But the joke may be on me. As much as I think that Chris Brown is a grade-A jerk (the fact that he titled his album "Forgiving All My Enemies" is further proof that he just doesn't get it), I can't help but like this song. The sparse, electro beats are fun, but the real appeal is in Busta Rhymes rapid-fire rapping skills, which are on impressive display here.

Girls Fall Like Dominoes - Nicki Minaj. This was a bonus track from Pink Friday, not included on all versions of the album (including the one I bought, unfortunately). The track is built around "Dominoes" by British electro-rock duo The Big Pink, making it a delightful merger of new wave-inspired indie pop and hip-hop.

No comments: