Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sophie Ellis-Bextor returns

Sophie Ellis-Bextor is getting ready to release her fourth album later this year. Two of the album's tracks are now available on her myspace page. "Off and On" is courtesy of Calvin Harris, Cathy Dennis, and Roisin Murphy--not a bad production and writing team to say the least. The other track, "Heartbreak Make Me a Dancer," is a Freemasons production, another good choice.

Ms. Ellis-Bextor (who happens to be Mrs. Richard Jones of The Feeling) could use a hit. Her last two albums haven't fared so well. Her last, Trip the Light Fantastic (my review), scored just one top 10 hit, "Catch You," and the previous one, Shoot from the Hip, had a couple, but neither are very memorable. She remains best known for her debut single, #1 hit "Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)" and the second single from her debut Read My Lips, "Murder on the Dancefloor."

As I've pointed out before, all three of her albums use cliche titles with an "ip" word (lips, hip, trip). If she keeps that trend up, what could the fourth album be called? Some ideas:

Heart Skips a Beat
Shape Up or Ship Out
When My Ship Comes In
The Chips Are Down
Chip on My Shoulder
Nip and Tuck
Let Her Rip
Let It Slip
Tip of My Tongue
At My Fingertips

No comments: